Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say you have two rifles with same condition barrels....shooting same type ammo, would the extra length of the SKS bbl, & sight radius lend itself to more accurate shooting ????Do you get a slight increase in muzzle velocity with the SKS because of additional length ????

Has anyone compared the two at a rifle range ?????

driller:)

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
From a test I did last weekend: I have a refurbed '51 Russian SKS and a Norinco AK with a 20" barrel. Both have excellent barrels. Using several different types of commercial and surplus ammo, the SKS gave me consistent 1/2 to 1 moa better groupings than the AK did. There is so much metal moving around in the AK that the Norinco's extra barrel length still didn't allow it to match the SK with its miniscule short stroke action. The SK's rear sight notch is also smaller than the AK's, and this certainly helped me with accuracy.

Oddly, the AK gave me the best group of the day...as well as the worst.

Keith

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,652 Posts
i like the SKS better. More suited to my needs like target shooting and hunting. The best group was 2 inch at 100 yds on my Yugo M 59/66.
Most will say their SKS's shoot better then their AK's by a slight margin. I have found that many of my scoped AK's will shoot better then a scoped SKS so I beleive it's a combination of better stock fit and longer sight radius.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,979 Posts
Lets say you have two rifles with same condition barrels....shooting same type ammo, would the extra length of the SKS bbl, & sight radius lend itself to more accurate shooting ????Do you get a slight increase in muzzle velocity with the SKS because of additional length ????

all things being equal, new barrels and same ammo in both ak and sks, the sks should have slightly better accuracy due to longer sight radius and less metal moving around during firing.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,991 Posts
i've never put scopes on a rifle that shoots the 7.62x39, so wouldn't know how they shoot with them. my sks rifles do outshoot my polytech ak, though the difference is not great. I've also found that my rasheed and vz-52/57 will outshoot both, though again the difference is not great.
the difference is small enough that I would worry more about parts and accessories price (and availability) more. personally, I think that the sks models that take ak mags are a really good way to go, although an ak is probably cheaper these days.
y'all have a good day! Keith

·
Registered
758 Posts
+1 what Keith Reid said above.

I've a ChiCom boltie in 7.62x39mm topped w/ an old Soviet fixed four glass and it shoots quite well with handloads, very accurate and consistent at the range; have not taken it into the field tho.

Glass and the M-43 cartridge is not - repeat, not - a marriage made in heaven.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Sights are better on an SKS, just a tad more precise. I wish they had a receiver peep like a Galil as I would narrow the front post down a few thousandths to see more target. My Mak90 is on par off a bench with an SKS. Haven't gotten the Tantal dialed in just yet, but they are totally out of the scope of the original question. I need to really do more offhand shooting but lately am obsessed with getting the guns all dialed in and accurate first, so I can wreck group size myself as opposed to blasting a bunch off ammo downrange and totally missing.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts

I think most of the folks that posted didn't read your post correctly.

Why are they comparing AK74 to an SKS?

Yes, our club has countless times compared SKSs to AK 47s. Side by side testing.
Some AKs can be tricked out to shoot very well. But in gen. SKS are more accurate at medium ranges.
Yes, the longer barrel makes a difference.

Your question is to vague and too many variables. Then there are also exceptions to every norm.

The SKS is inherently more accurate at long range.

I won't go into details, to any shooter it should be obvious.

To test any rifles for comparison, you have to minimize the human effect by using a bench vise. Forget all the stuff about scopes and technique.
You have to test the rifles in a bench vise to illiminate the variables as much as possible.

We do that with all milsurp rifles we test. Then find the ammo each rifle likes best. A SKSs and AK will seldom like the same mfgr and grain ammo.

You will get all kinds of anwers due to variables, and how well someones particular AK shoots compared to SKSs.
Also the different mfgrs. are a factor.
As well as the fact that some rilfes of a certain type just shoot better than others. So how do you know if you have the jewel or the clunker. They can be new and you still don't know.

That is why the mfgr. tests rifles and the shooters are converted to sniper rifles. No way to tell until tested. Some are OK and some are great, all off the same mfgr line. This is how it was done with military rifles many years ago. Not like today, where snipers are special made.

Yours is question that will get tons of responses and pages of bandwidth and accomplish nothing, except re affirm the overall concensus prelevant for years. That in GENERAL SKS are by design a bit more accurate than AK 47s.

Forget the AK74s that is a different cal. and not asked about by OP.

SKSs are common to be used for hunting rifles. AKs rarely if ever.

Now watch the post come rolling in to take exception with what I said.

Have fun.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
Maybe because the original poster just said "AK?"
But he also said "using the same ammo type".

Driller---Back to my original post...the 20" barrel of my test AK, the excellent shape of both SKS and AK barrels (not to mention the excellent overall quality of both the Chinese and Russian products), the better rear sight of the SKS, and the use of identical ammo in each test group pretty much sums up what everyone has said so far...the SKS wins by a slight margin in the accuracy department. Tomorrow I'm going to extend my range out to 200 yards, possibly 300, to see if there are any additional advantages of one over the other.

So far my tests do not, nor do I expect them to, support any conclusions to your other questions; namely which has superior muzzle velocity and (the implied) ultimate effective ranges of both systems. The SKS may have a slight edge in range, not necessarily because of the barrel length per se, but more likely due to the fact that since the mass of the SKS's bolt system is so much less than that of the AK's, less gases are diverted to cycle the bolt carrier and thusly more gas pressure remains in the barrel to add impetus to the bullet. But that's just a guess.

Keith

·
Registered
843 Posts
If made to the same standards of quality, the SKS is almost guaranteed to produce better accuracy. I once printed a Sub-MOA five-shot 100 yard group from a friend's un-modified Russian SKS with inexpensive com-bloc ammo. I also owned a new Norinco SKS that was wildly inaccurate no matter what ammo I used. So there are a whole lot of variables at play and no simple answer to your question except that the SKS design has more inherent accuracy potential -- as noted above.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.