Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not kept up with the AK world but my impression is the
Yugo AK (really they are AKM) really is a quality weapon and is
more desirable than WASR and other commercially available AK.

Any one want to push up a list of quality AK being sold today for
those of us now looking to buy a solid AK ? Not build one, but
buy one that is ready to go / right as rain and quality ?

Thanks

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
Arsenal would be at the top of my list.

I once owned both an SGL-21 and SGL-31 in 7.62x39 & 5.45x39 respectively.

They are built on Izhmash receivers from the same factory that produces them for the Russian military. I've owned a bunch of AK variants over the years, including Polytech Legends, Maadi's, Norinco's, etc. and IMHO none of them can hold a candle to the Arsenal.

There may be a type/brand or two that are equal to the Arsenal's but I doubt you'd find anything that is head and shoulders superior.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Some dealers sell converted VEPR rifles that take AK mags in 7.62/5.45. I love my Arsenals, but would love to own a VEPR AK because it has a heavier receiver and a heavier barrel. I shot a 5.45 VEPR and noticed that there is ZERO muzzle rise. They are pricier and can be heavier. I am willing to deal with it. I guess it is all about your budget and purpose. If weight is an issue, I would go with an Arsenal.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The Yugo M70 is a much better AKM than the WASR. Just check them out for canted front sights. I own both the Yugo AKM M70 and their RPK as well as 2 Arsenal's. The Arsenal's would be my first choice.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,874 Posts
I have not kept up with the AK world but my impression is the
Yugo AK (really they are AKM) really is a quality weapon and is
more desirable than WASR and other commercially available AK.

Any one want to push up a list of quality AK being sold today for
those of us now looking to buy a solid AK ? Not build one, but
buy one that is ready to go / right as rain and quality ?

Thanks
The Yugo AK's are not any more an AKM then they are an AK's but generally yes they are considered a step up from the WASR and some others by many. The Yugoslavians sort of went their own way in a vein similar to the way the Chinese went also, while both went with stamped steel receiver like the AKM in other ways they also stuck more closely with the AK design. I personally feel for the money today it's hard to beat a PAP AK today, about the only thing you give up buying a yugo over some of the other AK/AKM others are mentioning is the chrome bore.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The Yugo AK's are not any more an AKM then they are an AK's but generally yes they are considered a step up from the WASR and some others by many. The Yugoslavians sort of went their own way in a vein similar to the way the Chinese went also, while both went with stamped steel receiver like the AKM in other ways they also stuck more closely with the AK design. I personally feel for the money today it's hard to beat a PAP AK today, about the only thing you give up buying a yugo over some of the other AK/AKM others are mentioning is the chrome bore.
+ 1

For the money (under $600.) the Yugo rifles (PAP/M70) are the way to go. Try to examine before purchase if possible.

HDH.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts