Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine came over this afternoon with a brand new Palmetto State Armory AK. It is a really nice looking rifle but for some reason the round would not come up under the extractor claw, but instead would get pushed in front of the claw. Naturally it would not fire as the bolt was not in battery. We tried three different mags. (chinese, korean, and P mag) and two different types of ammo. About one out of seven or eight rounds would work okay but on all the rest you had to force the bolt forward so that the extractor would pop over the case rim.

If we loaded rounds singly without the mag, they would chamber and extract just fine.

Not being an AK person all I could do was help identify the problem but was no help with the solution. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A friend of mine came over this afternoon with a brand new Palmetto State Armory AK. It is a really nice looking rifle but for some reason the round would not come up under the extractor claw, but instead would get pushed in front of the claw. Naturally it would not fire as the bolt was not in battery. We tried three different mags. (chinese, korean, and P mag) and two different types of ammo. About one out of seven or eight rounds would work okay but on all the rest you had to force the bolt forward so that the extractor would pop over the case rim.

If we loaded rounds singly without the mag, they would chamber and extract just fine.

Not being an AK person all I could do was help identify the problem but was no help with the solution. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.
Hand cycling not live fire?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The AK is not a controlled round feed weapon, it's a push feed.
The round is pushed in front of the bolt until it chambers and then the extractor snaps over the rim.

Shoot it and see how it works with live ammo.

Make sure the magazine has only 30 round in it, although almost all military mags can hold ONLY 30.
Pull the bolt handle ALL THE WAY to the rear, then LET GO. Don't "ride" the bolt handle.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The AK is not a controlled round feed weapon, it's a push feed.
The round is pushed in front of the bolt until it chambers and then the extractor snaps over the rim.

Shoot it and see how it works with live ammo.

Make sure the magazine has only 30 round in it, although almost all military mags can hold ONLY 30.
Pull the bolt handle ALL THE WAY to the rear, then LET GO. Don't "ride" the bolt handle.
Yes, we are shooting live ammo. We have tried various amounts of ammo in a magazine from full down to one round. And yes we are fully retracting the bolt and letting it freely forward. How about to strong of an extractor spring?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
my advice have your friend call PSA and tell them he's having issues with it and going to send it back for them to fix. let them fix the problem

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,120 Posts
Is there a piece of debris caught in the bolt behind the extractor? Is the forward extractor face properly beveled?

And if you can't see something very obvious, quick and easy, then a brand new Palmetto State Armory AK which won't properly chamber a round would and should be PSA's problem.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,514 Posts
Martin thinking same or it’s bent?

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your advice. I think the best thing to do would be to send it back. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I would send it back and let them repair it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts