Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to know if it kick's like a mule. The only Bolt Action's I ever have owned are Mosin-Nagant M-44 Carbine's, Is the Tanker Mauser as they call it, in 8mm Mauser(7.92mmx57) around the same or will it dislocate your Shoulder? I would like to have one but am unsure how long I would keep it, also what Recoil Boot is best for it??? I rarely stray from 7.62mmx39 and 7.62NATO(.308 Winchester) thank's for all replies. My Rifle is below the Mauser. Also will the Mauser Bayonet fit on the M-63???

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_10_51/ai_n14936901

IMHO all of Mitchell's mausers are rip-offs and these "carbines" are about the worst, being just a grossly overpriced Zastava hunting rifle of no historical significance whatsoever. Buy a real, collectible carbine or short rifle if you want one, for the same or lower price. The biggest difference is that the Mitchell's will depreciate a lot immediately, mostly because its hard to find a buyer, while a good C&R carbine/rifle will appreciate. A quick check of Gunbrokers had real genuine carbines, including a rare genuine Moroccan Mauser, at half Mitchell's prices.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I agree with what jjk308 said and I'll add that around here it will be hard to find anyone that has bought anything from Mitchell's or one of there humped products from another source. Generally new collectors starting out are the buyers/victims of Mitchell.

I'm grateful that I did research here and on other boards when I started out and learned quickly to stay away from Mitchell Mauser's.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
For the right price, I think it would be a great little truck or brush gun. with no collector's value, you don't have to worry about getting the stock dinged up or the metal a little scratched, and you could probably use it as a base for a custom sporter if you like to tweak and tinker.

don't know how much they go for, but if they're decently priced I'd probably snag one for the above reasons.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Your post does not belong in the Military Mauser forum.

Go to the sporting rifle forum near the bottom.

The M63 has nothing to do with Military rifles.

Also, you should do some more research on these as well as other carbines and ask the right questions.

THe M63 comes in a variety of calibers, the 8mm is NOT the only option if you are concerned about recoil.

Recoil buffers come in a wide variety. Most of our people use the leather slip on with velcro hold from Cabellas or Midway. You can swith them from one rifle to the next in a heart beat.
I have to use one and also use a folded towel over the shoulder. Otherwise I would not be able to pop off several hundred rounds of 8mm and other cal. every day, several days a week. Less, now that ammo prices have gone through the roof.
So, if protected properly, recoil is not an issue.

There are proper ways to shoulder a rifle to reduce the recoil effect, but that doesn't always work as advertised in the real world.

If it hurts, shooting is no fun. Also it is not good for accuracy,due to flinch factor.
So ignore the macho crap and protect yourself and enjoy shooting.

You will not get the info. you want from this forum, because it is a Military Mauser forum and about all you can expect is sarcastic remarks, since MM is not well liked by Mauser collectors for good reason.

However the M63 has little to do with MM other than they sell them with some B.S. story.

They also sell other places and are made by Zastava as hunting or shooting rifles for the gen. public.

Those facts alone take MM and their B.S. stories out of the picture, when talking about this rifle. Buy the rifle, not the story.

They are NOT made for MM exclusively. MM just sells them, like any other outfit that has a contract with Zastava.

IIRC these sell for just over $400 and that is in the ball park for ANY well made sporting rifle out there. I have seen other vendors sell them for the same price.

They are in fact well made and great shooters. The dreaded recoil and muzzle flash that some folks are yelling about is no more no less than any other carbine.

The plus side is that these come in some relatively tame calibers, which makes them a great choice for truck guns etc. They are a rugged carbine.

It is just another option to buy thats all. There are lots of Milsurp carbines to choose from if you prefer those.

In Mausers the optoins are limited, but M/Ns M44, M38, and 91/59s, and Enfield #5MK1s are available.

Real Mauser short rifles are hard to find with exc. bores for shooting from our experience and most are too collectable to go beating around with. IMO

I would not throw my Dutch carbine in the truck to go popping off with. Its collectable and expensive.

Of course there will be tons of au contrair responses to this, since it is the Mauser collector forum, but if these folks that recomend Mauser short rifles that shoot as good as a M63 with a new barrel, then they should post links on where to get these shooters for the cheap prices and the variety of options in the GOOD calibers that make shooting carbines fun.

From all reports, the M63s in any cal. are extremely accurate for a carbine. It is VERY hard to get find a mauser carbine with an exc. barrel, throat, muzzle, lands and be as accurate. M48s and 24/47s are, but they are a bit longer.

I have only seen Dutch Mauser carbines for sale once in many years. SARCO had some.

THe only "cheap" carbines are M/Ns. Used Enfields #5MK1 cost as much or more than a new M63.

Collectors have a hard time relating to people buying guns to shoot and not concerned with "appreciation or de preciation" of a piece.

You wil not find a Mauser short rifle in mint condition anywhere for "cheap" and you will have to shoot in 8mm or whatever cal. these collector pieces are in. No choice of a more practical cal.

You can buy M/Ns carbines with new barrels for cheap. Not Enfields, they will cost you twice what you wil pay for an M63 if you can even find a mint #5MK1, not easy.

·
Registered
945 Posts
No such thing as a "Tanker" Mauser, especially a Yugoslavian "Tanker" Mauser. This is just another deceptive marketing ploy from the honesty-deficient reprobates over at Mitchell's. Hopefully, the next asteroid to strike the earth, will land squarely on their headquarters, when all of their "executives" are there in another "strategic marketing" meeting... (we can only hope)

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
For the right price, I think it would be a great little truck or brush gun. with no collector's value, you don't have to worry about getting the stock dinged up or the metal a little scratched, and you could probably use it as a base for a custom sporter if you like to tweak and tinker.

don't know how much they go for, but if they're decently priced I'd probably snag one for the above reasons.
$495!!!!!

Utter insanity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.