Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The only Russian-made Kalashnikov semi-autos available in the US are Saigas, which are stamped-receiver sporters. And some kit builds of varying quality and historical accuracy.

Kit builds usually have US-made receivers and all military-configuration AKs sold after the 922r rule went into place will have a certain number of US parts, which are required for compliance. Saiga sporters can be converted to a pistol-grip, mil-type configuration.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Looking to get my first ak47. Want a Russian and a shooter. What is my best option? Have about $400 to spend.
Gulp!.....$400 to spend won't happen to fulfill 2 Russian weapons....no way.

If I took you wrong and you want a Russian shooter' and not 2 seperate weapons....well even with both in one weapon will be tough....Maybe you can find a Russian SKS for $400, or occasionally you can get a Russian saiga (as stated above) for south of $400 then slowly convert it back into Russian ak47 configuration as you get more money. The days of cheap AK's has kinda' gone away.

Personally one of my favorite weapons to shoot is my Saiga .308 long barrel, very-very accurate gun that is supplied with a heavy long 21" barrel. It is my "go to" weapon for hunting--nothing is better in my book.

BAF

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Clarification.....just one gun and I have found that my Russian ak will be impossible. Just want the 7.62 with wood. Good enough for me. Basically the only style rifle missing from collection.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,812 Posts
The ONLY rifle missing???
Find a Romanian AK, it will fill your hole.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Find yourself a Firing Line milled receiver or a bulgarian milled receiver and a nice Russian PLO kit, and you can build yourself as close to a Russian as you'll ever have. But it'll cost more than 400 so save up some more money first.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The days of cheap AKs is probably over. The US Dollar doesn't carry as much weight in the former Com-Bloc as it did 10 yrs ago. The only AK I see in the $400 range is the Polish Tantal from Century Arms.

The Russians export both Izhmash Saiga's and Molot VEPRs. They come in 5.45, 5.56, 7.62X39, 308 WIN, 7.62X54R and soon 30-06. I'm rather fond of the 308-1 Saiga myself. $350 for the Saiga & $125 for the conversion kit, and it's ready to rock-n-roll. Of course, the days of $350 Saiga's have passed us by. Century Arms is converting Saiga's to pistol grip configuration now days. Haven't seen a price yet...

Tantal...

Converted 308-1 Model Saiga...

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
an Arsenal SGL 21-61 will run about $850.00. a set of Russian wood is another $200 tops. that is the current going rate. I am shying away from non factory build guns, too many problems. nobody builds 'em like Ivan does.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,623 Posts
For $400 you have about one option - the ROMAK/WASR. Mine is reliable but crunchy and about 4-6MOA. I have a VEPR-K that was like $800, it is a silky work of art and consistently groups 2MOA or under.

The best economical compromise for me was the Saiga conversion that others have mentioned. If you don't get fancy, go with a Tapco trigger, and leave the front handguard alone, you can be in <$500 club with a genuine Russian chrome barrel, receiver and guts. I rate that conversion as a 1 on a scale of 5 being the hardest. If you can use google and wield a dremel without cutting your finger off, you can carry out the conversion.

It resulted in what is probably my most favorite rifle, and really good quality for the $.

Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,186 Posts
ATI made/makes some Russian AKM builds from the kits hey imported. Theyalso did some in the hybrid milled receivers. A little mixed on customer satisfaction but I tink they are in the $500 range for the stamped buil;ds. Not sure who sells them at retail.

Site states Bulgarian for political reasons. They are Russian kit builds>

http://www.americantactical.us/1670/detail.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.