Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I remove a Romanian AK barrel pin by pushing it out left-to-right or right-to-left, when looking from the breech towards the muzzle (that is, with the barrel pointed away from me)?

Thanks!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I've checked my files. The only pictures show, and its as I recall, vaguely, left to right. I'm a little fuzzy on it because the horror of trying to get them out of some of the Romanians any way whatsoever, short of a thermonuclear device. Soaking, heat, cold, pounding, pushing air hammer. Nothing worked except my giant industrial vise, a hand sledge to hammer it closed, and lots and lots of push pins in many graduated sizes, since they broke if just a hair too long. Even busted pins in an AK barrel jig!
I started with the cheap and easy, found it impossible on a majority of the rifles, getting the parts off AND on, and ended up with a full set of equipment and jigs!

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! TLooks like its time to put some penetrating oil on them and let them sit a week or two.

The Expert

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
You might try mixing some acetone with the penetrating oil and keeping it wet a while, maybe under a saran wrap? It helps get it in the joint which, by my experience, is way too tight for oils like JB or Kroil.

While waiting go to Easter services and pray real hard that yours turns out to be one of the loose Romys.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,393 Posts
I really don't think there is a difference. As long as you support the trunnion while you push the pin in or out. After all the hole is not smaller on one end, And the pin is the same diameter it's entire length.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
It's just that the driven end tends to mushroom a bit. In theory.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I really don't think there is a difference. As long as you support the trunnion while you push the pin in or out. After all the hole is not smaller on one end, And the pin is the same diameter it's entire length.
Yep.

Here's a trick with stubborn barrel pins- drill about 1/2 way deep into the center with a 5mm or so drill bit. Then insert a punch about that diameter into the newly-drilled hole. Using a jig to support the trunion, take up a hand sledge and whack that punch. (I use a punch that broke and leaves very little of the punch shaft above the pin's top. If I break this one, I'll cut the next one down so it fits the same way.) This way, the hole in the pin supports the punch so you can get a lot of force on it without bending or breaking the punch. When the pin starts moving, switch to a longer punch closer in size to 7mm. Once pin is out, toss in the can and use a new one for reassembly. The price of a new pin is definitely worth the saved headache.

This method saves mushroomed pins, broken punches flying across the room, damaged trunions, and frustrated builders!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Romy Barrel pins Are the hardest thing on the plant to remove. I learned that drilling them out slowly and evenly is the quickest easyest. Not to mention the safest way. I have dodged some tools/ punches coming loose off the press after they FAIL. Slowly center drill out pin keep it strait. if you do it right you wont muff up your trunion. after it is drilled a BFH and punch will drive the demon pin from its home. Do so just like GSMilligan said. I think I get my pins from AK builder. I freeze then oil/grease them before I install the new pin.They go in so nice.

Good luck, listen to these guys above GSMilligan they know what to do, and have forgotten more than I know. Without there help I couldnt have put together my first build. They always have the answer or the forsight to direct you in the right direction.

F-Mike

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
tuffest i had was a customer sent me a romy rpk, he could not get the pin loose, drilled about half way through and still would not come out, so i drilled it to abut the last 1/8, applied heat, and when it broke loose, the 20 ton press jump about an inch off the floor, please wear safety glass`s when pressing barrel pins, I use hardend drill bit blanks in fixtures for pressing, had a few shatter, they come flying like shrapnel

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I used up about 4 drill rod push pins of increasing lengths for each barrel pin. Too long and they'd bend and break. Short enough and they'd just barrel out but that meant I would only get a turn, turn and a half on the vise handle (whacking it with a hand sledge) with each pin. As the barrel pin came out it got easier and the push pins lasted longer. Also had to rig up a fixture to hold the barrel, trunnion and push pin in place, leave room for the barrel pin to come out. In retrospect I should have just bought some damned AKs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.