Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe this was built from a Yugo parts kit,NDS marked receiver,screw built.I bought this many years ago for 350.00,shoots great,is the receiver milled or stamped,are they of good quality?Came with 2 mags one is a 30 and one a 40 I think.Any info appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Any info appreciated.

not much info to tell, you are correct in that it is a parts kit built on a US receiver. this rifle was built by someone in their basement using button head screws, rather then built by a company or a well stocked gunsmith. the receiver is a stamped US made RPK style receiver, which is how all stamped Yugo AK were original built. NDS makes good AK receivers.

only other thing I can tell you is unlike all other countries AKs the yugos are the only AKs that don't have chrome line barrels

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!The bore is actually very nice.Who ever built it must have known what they were doing,the screws are tight,they must have used lock tight!Anyway seems it would be easier to just drill and rivet instead of tapping every hole.Any idea of a value on this,must have been an above average parts kit as the stock is not beat up,metal finish has some wear but not bad.Heavy rifle,the receiver is thick walled should hold up well.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,187 Posts
The Zastava AK's are well thought of. A good bore is a plus. If you find or care to look you may find someone willing to rivet the firearm. Providing the screw shanks are not too large in diameter. It requires pulling the barrel etc.
The screw builds can work fine but generally have a bad reputation and appearance for many potential buyers.

As a kit etc., and depending on matching serial #'s and general condition., it is worth $450+/- or so as it sits.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!Thats funny because my brother bought one just like it but an under folder at the same time,these came in a shop together,same guy must have built both.He sold it a year ago for 750.00,the screws didn't bother that buyer.I would not sell this one for less than that.Its not for sale but if I do decide to part with it will try GB and see what happens!The screws are not huge so I bet it could be riveted,have a gunsmith buddy could do it no prob but I don't see the need. I looked up screw builds and these screws are from a kit ,so this was built from a kit not bubba going to the hardware store.Many have been built this way over the years by people including gunsmiths from what I have read,this may have been built by a gunsmith before the rivits and tools were available who knows .Not trying to defend it but where are you going to find a Yugo parts kit anymore?,then you need a barrel and receiver right and rivet kit and labor doing it,seems you would have at least 700.00 in one or probably closer to 800.00.JMO

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Those screws...Or any screws..... are not from a kit. No military ever used screws to build their AKs. Maybe Somalia!

Typically screw builds were used as a cheaper alternative to build a parts kit.

Yugo parts kits are available at Apex and many other places. Original barrels not so much anymore but kits are available

And there are about 4 more models I didn't bother taking a picture of.

It's true you would need a barrel and a receiver and know how. However....and no offense meant....a screw build is still only worth the sum of its parts. They may have been build like this by some decades ago but it doesn't make it correct or safe. If you shoot a box every now and then it's fine. But any serious shooting....I don't see it holding up. I'll rather pay more for a proper rifle, whether factory or built

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info I appreciate it!I didnt realize you can still get the yugo parts kits,this one has the original barrel I think.Lots of disscussion on these builds on other forums.One guy said he has shot between 2000 and 3000 rounds through his screw build without a problem.I just saw a place to order screw build kits,comes with screws like these, I know not military kits but made for building an AK,are the rivets you buy military issue?Anyway some say the screw builds are better,you can take them back apart if you need to replace something.What are you thinking will be a problem with shooting this rifle?I shot 60 rounds through it when I first got it with no problems so its put together right?Have you heard about a lot of problems or safety issues with these?Why do they sell the screws if its not safe or wont work?Anyway I like it and thats what counts will take it to the next gunshow and ask a couple gunsmiths their opinion.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Anyway some say the screw builds are better,you can take them back apart if you need to replace something.
well, to be honest those who say that, are talking out of their butt to the ^10.

the only thing that you can replace with a screw built kit, without too much trouble, that is if you don't bugger up the allen head recess, is the rear trunion, which will never wear out.

everything else (barrel and the barrel parts) has to taken off the traditional way, punching out the pins and pressing off the parts. and you don't need to take the front trunion out for that.

about the only thing I see that would need replacing would be the barrel after it becomes worn out. and like I stated, you don't need to remove the front trunion out of the receiver to press the barrel out and press in a new barrel. you will just be making stupid work taking out the front trunion to replace the barrel or the barrel parts.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for that info!I just watched a u tube video showing how to rivet the receiver to the trunion.The gunsmith says most guys just drive them in against the barrel,and he proved thats not how the factory did it,and might hold or might not.Anyway glad I posted this rifle, I am learning something about building these.It seems rivet built or screw built ,if not put together right they will have functioning problems,and then they ARE a POS.Factory built guns are probably always the way to go.I know where I can get a Norinco Mak 90.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,187 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a properly kit built AK. A good receiver and a properly assemble firearm is as good or better than a factory import if assembled properly.

A screw build probably will last and be fine as well. But it will always be a devalue issue.

To properly rivet the front trunnion to the receiver he barrel must be pulled. Bucking rivets against the installed barrel is not the proper method to set the rivets.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I would have a hard time even giving $200 for a screw build in today's market. Sad to think but if you bought it many years ago for $350, there were probably Mak 90s and other chinese AKs for the same price

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info and opinions!Brasky sounds like you hate screw builds,I would not buy one for even 100.00 if I were you,you wouldnt be happy with it .The mak 90s look funny with the thumb hole stock,I like the looks of this yugo much better,to each his own.Guys around here wouldnt know the difference between a non factory screw built or a rivet built or care.If rifle works good that all thats important,not many connoisseurs of AKs around here.Anyway how many of these "holy grail" non factory rivet jobs were done right,thousands I bet were not, as a lot of large sellers of these rivet kits state, cut a groove in the end of rivet and drive it in against the barrel, not the correct way. You would have to press out the barrel to know if riveted correctly.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
No this is built from a parts kit dont know how many foreign parts were used on this build but probably 9!Complete factory Mak90s came in this country with the thumb hole stock for a reason,the only way to get them in this country, and its illegal to alter them with an ak stock,correct me if I am wrong.My brother had a mak90 and found the stock you are talking about but would not put it on,didnt want to risk a violation and the ATF taking his guns.I see them on GB so maybe some came in with ak stocks but I doubt it,watch out.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
No this is built from a parts kit .
built from parts kit, complete foreign made rifles with thumbhole stocks, ie MAK, post 89 MAADI etc... doesn't matter 922r covers them all. this has been the case for way more then 20 years

you need to do a forum or internet s search on AK and parts count and read how this affects how you build or modify a existing AK to be in pistol grip configuration. there are 16 parts to a AK that the ATF recognizes, 3 of those parts are the magazine. magazine is included within the parts count to the rifle. so if you stick a US made AK mag, you're half way to the needed US parts, the other 3 is the FCG. that leaves you with the required 10 or less foreign parts to legally have a pistol grip AK

so yes, you can take a thumbhole MAK and modify it to a pistol grip configuration. providing you have 10 or less foreign parts, the rest have be US made parts.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.