Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just a question how easy woudl it be to convert or morph an ak 103 to a chinese type 56 AK , being in the U.K I cannot use a type 56 reciever it has to be the original gay straightpull config due to the laws, but I can change the other parts.

As far as i am aware, I would need type 56 front sight (closed) with bayonet, t56 wood + mag, is there anywhere I could get this stuff. I know gunbroker sells the odd stuff now and again.

In the future I may get one of these if going cheap, how easy would it be to convert ?

many thanks

DB

·
Gold Bullet member
4,042 Posts
I'm glad to see that you can at least own an evil rifle like this. I'd like to see the conversion when you're done :).

Here's a website for original Polytech parts: http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse-AK-dsh-47/Categories.bok . They have the closed front sight and the blond furniture.

BTW, did you know that the semi-auto Saiga 12 'AK' shotgun conversions are still legal to own and shoot in the UK? No straighpull required with them (yet).

Keith

·
Registered
268 Posts
Funny how we have the problem of converting our AKs INTO 100 series config. I personally wouldn't waste a Russian AK-103 on a Type 56 clone, it won't be even remotely correct anyhow. BUT Gunbroker & Polytechparts will be your best bet for parts if you wished to do so.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It would certainly be a bit "Frankenstein-ish," but your options are obviously quite limited due to your location and laws.

You can find the underfolding spike bayonet front sight base on Gunbroker and there's even one currently for sale in the sale section of the AR15 forum. If you want a standard Chinese Type 56 front sight base, Polytechparts has them but their neutered so they don't facilitate a bayonet. Or you could find an unneutered on either on the forums or Gunbroker. You can also find with relative ease the furniture and magazine on Gunbroker, as well. But here's where your issues are going to creep up on your conversion:

Your barrel is going to be too thin in diameter to facilitate the acceptance of the Chinese underfolding spike bayonet front sight base. The Chinese Type 56 barrels are a bit thicker in diameter. You're going to have to create a "sleeve" or something to compensate the front sight base onto the barrel.

Also, you're going to probably have to do some modifications to the tangs of the Chinese wood furniture to be accepting of the difference with the Russian receiver.

The gas block is going to be noticeably different compared to the Chinese style, as well as the obvious aesthetic differences with the receiver pattern and rivet placement. It's a noble idea and if you can live with "not quite Chinese, not quite Russian" look, it's do-able. But I think you'd be better off with keeping your Russian AK-103 as it is.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would certainly be a bit "Frankenstein-ish," but your options are obviously quite limited due to your location and laws.

You can find the underfolding spike bayonet front sight base on Gunbroker and there's even one currently for sale in the sale section of the AR15 forum. If you want a standard Chinese Type 56 front sight base, Polytechparts has them but their neutered so they don't facilitate a bayonet. Or you could find an unneutered on either on the forums or Gunbroker. You can also find with relative ease the furniture and magazine on Gunbroker, as well. But here's where your issues are going to creep up on your conversion:

Your barrel is going to be too thin in diameter to facilitate the acceptance of the Chinese underfolding spike bayonet front sight base. The Chinese Type 56 barrels are a bit thicker in diameter. You're going to have to create a "sleeve" or something to compensate the front sight base onto the barrel.

Also, you're going to probably have to do some modifications to the tangs of the Chinese wood furniture to be accepting of the difference with the Russian receiver.

The gas block is going to be noticeably different compared to the Chinese style, as well as the obvious aesthetic differences with the receiver pattern and rivet placement. It's a noble idea and if you can live with "not quite Chinese, not quite Russian" look, it's do-able. But I think you'd be better off with keeping your Russian AK-103 as it is.
Many thanks for the replies all of you, liike I said I have not paid for one yet, the new ones come with all new shiney wood, I wanted to "old" it up abit.
We will see :>

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad to see that you can at least own an evil rifle like this. I'd like to see the conversion when you're done :).

Here's a website for original Polytech parts: http://stores.polytechparts.com/-strse-AK-dsh-47/Categories.bok . They have the closed front sight and the blond furniture.

BTW, did you know that the semi-auto Saiga 12 'AK' shotgun conversions are still legal to own and shoot in the UK? No straighpull required with them (yet).

Keith

Did not know that !!!

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts