1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Korean?

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
I think that is a Chinese arsenal stamp on the barrel. Post on the Japanese forum. You'll get a quick answer.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
It looks like a Siamese charka or a Mukden arsenal marking. Mukden is in Korea and the Charka would put it in Thai hands.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'd say Taiwan (Formosa). They remained an ally during the cold-war, and it's likely we gave them some Garands after WWII.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yoda is that the one I saw on your table today at the Boone County show? I remember thinking at the time those were some odd looking markings on the bbl.. But I'm not looking for a differant M1, so I didn't pick it up and look it over better. That mark looks Chinese to me. A few months ago I think it was in The American Rifleman they ran a story on the Chinese 98s. Some of them had that mark on them.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,331 Posts
Taiwan. Same marking used on Nationalist Chinese manufactured version of the M1 bayonet. It can be seen on page 65 of Gary Cunningham's book "American Military Bayonets of the 20th Century" in the foreign copies section.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Taiwan. Same marking used on Nationalist Chinese manufactured version of the M1 bayonet. It can be seen on page 65 of Gary Cunningham's book "American Military Bayonets of the 20th Century" in the foreign copies section.
I would also say Taiwan regarding the markings on the barrel. The round marking is the same as the one's inprinted on the ammo cans of M2 Taiwanese ammunition in garand clips I purchased from Sarco about ten years ago.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
must have been a garand sold by SOG, i have one IHC and a Winchester with the same type markings on the barrel. both bores are worn out!
Now I actually have to look at those SOG rifles! Would go great with my Norwegian and Danish M1s.

Strange that I have'nt heard anything about these before - thought they would have generated some buzz.

Can you post pics of your rifles?

Yoda - is your rifle Import marked??????????????

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes they are the SOG rifles, they had 300 2 weeks ago, I sent one back last week and they were sold out.

Yes the bores are worn out, and yes they are import marked ON THE BARRELS ONLY.

Don't know if they will get any more, they are ok for the price, just keep in mind they will need attention, guarenteed the barrels will need to be swaped out. I got 4 of them, they had a mixture of original WWII UNcut op rods and quite a few IHC parts
They also have a brown hue to them, they were in very wet conditions for to long. I have fired all 4 they did go boom , did cycle after the second round, and hit the dirt pyle I was aming at ( 20 yards away )

Other than that I would stick with the lower CMP grade for almost the same price, although the Korean markings are quite intresting and if you got to have one more variant in the collection, you better get them now while everybody is mopeing about the condition

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'd say Taiwan (Formosa). They remained an ally during the cold-war, and it's likely we gave them some Garands after WWII.
+1 That is Chinese writing, not Korean nor Thai (both use alphabets, not pictographs). I asked a friend who was a Lieutenant in the Taiwan Navy and she believes the round looking mark is Taiwan, the "60A" may be 60th Arsenal. She carried an M1 in the military academy back in the early '70s. Couldn't get the Chinese translated over the phone but she says "You Americans gave us all your old junk!" LOL - you'd have to know her. I'll get it translated if she'll stand still this weekend.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
"LEFT"

My neice translated it for me.
It says "Left" as some surmised. Too easy since that's what ours say.
Must be a stash of American knobs in Taiwan somewhere. From her mom's description of the rifles she saw when in the Navy, they were already in pretty bad shape back in the 1970's. Oh, and a little warning; she said they are heavy and hurt to shoot: "Aiyeee!". :cry:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts