Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reading in my old speer reloading manual today, they made mention of a 22 hornet survival rifle issued to aircrews in the 50's. i think it may be the MA-1. anybody have one or a picture of one? i love military surplus.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah, i think this one was made by ithaca and the manual sis not say the manufacturer, but did say it had a folding stock. 22 hornet.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bill, maybe you're right, but they did not mention anything about a shotgun barrel on it, also, i was under the impression it was an underfolder.

·
Registered
264 Posts
People don't know much about 'em there is a take down version that
was made in Wash.D.C.
A friend of mine picked up one a few years ago that is pretty much
a skeleton of a rifle in 22 cal.
I have shot it,it's very light and fun to shoot.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
billoftheN, did you buy yours new? just checked gunbroker.... they have an "original" stock for 395, other M6's are 3 to 800 bucks. had no idea they would be that high. they do look nice, and most of them are in 22 hornet/410.

·
Registered
18 Posts
survival rifle

yes the U.S. Airforce did issue a MA-1 survival rifle in .22 hornet only...it was issued in the late 40's and could be carried in one-man seat kits..the MA-1 also known as the AR-5,is a bolt action .22 hornet rifle only with a folding or dismantled butt stock...based on info the MA-1 was shot lived ...i have the M-6 over and under rifle in .22 hornet and .410 gauge, it's a fun little weapon....vince g. 11b inf...

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
22 hornet survival rifle issued to aircrews in the 50's. i think it may be the MA-1. anybody have one or a picture of one? i love military surplus.
I had one but lost it in a boating accident....It was Made by Ithaca in NY.
It was a Folding .22 Hornet/410 over and Under......It fit PERFECT in an Alice Pack.......I took it to a gunshow one day and a vendor told me to IMMEDIATLEY turn around and MARCH back to my car and leave....and let KNOW ONE see the gun on my way out.....I ask why.....He said that the 16" Barrell length on the .22 hornet makes it an Illegal gun SBR........I said OK....BYE!!!

Then about 2-days later I was in a boating accident.....lost it.....It was a shame...:(

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,894 Posts
survival rifle

When I first got to Viet Nam the ejection packs were fitted with the take down semi automatic .22 like in Billofthenorths post. within 90 days they were all fitted with a rather ingenious folding (wire) stock version of the M16. Given the unreliability of the M16 at the time I think I would rather had a shotgun or something else. Also the Smith and colt 4" barrel 38 special was part of the standard survival gear

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
16 inch barrel on a rifle is fine, perfectly legal.. but it is a minimum of 18 inch on a shotgun.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
16 inch barrel on a rifle is fine, perfectly legal.. but it is a minimum of 18 inch on a shotgun.
oops....that's what I meant.....the .410 was too short....keyword "WAS"

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The original military-issue M6 had 14½" barrels for both components and therefore are NFA regulated. They are now C&R-eligible, but transfer and ownership must still be in compliance with the aforementioned law.

There are, of course, modern versions with barrels long enough as to not require the tax stamp, etc.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
The original military-issue M6 had 14½" barrels for both components and therefore are NFA regulated. They are now C&R-eligible, but transfer and ownership must still be in compliance with the aforementioned law.

There are, of course, modern versions with barrels long enough as to not require the tax stamp, etc.
Which is a BS LAW!!!!!!......That's like passing a law that Dildo's can not bet over a certain length......you wouldn't want to do damage or enlarge a certain area.....Hell, the Dildo Law would make more sense even....lol

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
billoftheN, did you buy yours new? just checked gunbroker.... they have an "original" stock for 395, other M6's are 3 to 800 bucks. had no idea they would be that high. they do look nice, and most of them are in 22 hornet/410.
I picked up mine at a gunshow for $200. I don't think it was new but it is in near new condition. Made by CZ.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
Which is a BS LAW!!!!!!......That's like passing a law that Dildo's can not bet over a certain length......you wouldn't want to do damage or enlarge a certain area.....Hell, the Dildo Law would make more sense even....lol

Funny coming from somebody who lives in Alabama where it is illegal to sell dildos. No dildo's with or without CARB approved ventialtion devices.. however some stores still sell pre ban dildo's under the lable of "medical devices" ( but without assault slings) .. seriouly.. it's Alabama law. For details see http://betterthanieverexpected.blogspot.com/2007/11/julia-from-alabama-you-cant-have-my.html public law code of Alabama sections 13A-12-200.2 and 13A-12-20.3

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Funny coming from somebody who lives in Alabama where it is illegal to sell dildos. No dildo's with or without CARB approved ventialtion devices.. however some stores still sell pre ban dildo's under the lable of "medical devices" ( but without assault slings) .. seriouly.. it's Alabama law.
Yep....I know you're Serious.....The Southern Baptist love coming into your home and tell you how to live.....I guess it's suppose to make them feel better.
Sometimes I just want to run into a Church on a Sunday with a Dildo/Chainsaw.......Ruuunnnnnn..chugga..chugga..chugga..chugga..chugga.......LOL
I can see it now...all the little ole church ladies getting all excited......LOL

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'd like to see a pic of one of those ithacas. GC, where did you get yours? sick you lost it, looks like they are very valuable now. BilloftheN, does 410 shells stash in the top of the stock on yours?

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
Give me a day or two to dig-up the PICS of the one I USE to have......I'll post'em.....
Yes, Shells are stored in the Top of the stock.....both .410 and .22 hornet shells.
The firing pin selector goes up and down to select which caliber you're firing......the Rear sights Pivot up/down to select the rear aperture......
It also says on the gun, Property of the US AIR FORCE.......
I got the gun from a Family member.....

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
man, i would like one of those, especially with the AF logo.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
looks like they are very valuable now.
Where do you get this info from?????......How Valuable are they????........just curious.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts