Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,261 Posts
I picked up one of the scrubbed Vz 24s last month. Mine has the remains of the Czech lion and has E4lion37 on the reciever. Serial is B7 3277. So these were not all Romaian rifles before the rebuild.
Depends on how you define "Romanian". Plenty of unused 1937 and 1938 Czechoslovak Army VZ24 rifles were sold to Romania.
Regards,
Bill

·
15,261 Posts
There were 500 vz24's received in this latest batch.
434- scrubbed off Romanian Crest
20- 1937
27- 1938
9- 1939
4- 1940
6- BRNO logo (of which there was both the arched and non-arched logo)

Almost all the scrubbed guns had an R in the serial #. All most all the guns had Romanian stock markings (even non R serial #'s). The serial numbers supported mostly Romanian contract guns. There were some weird ones like Japanese Naval guns if you were going by serial number.

We have formed an opinion that these are Romanian contract guns, and since done under German control in a hurried fashion, other receivers that were on hand were probably used to finish off a run, clean out parts bins, etc.
Thanks very much for the info, Erik. It's very uncommon to get this kind of good info from a supplier or importer.

The P series rifles did not go only to Japan and China. A quantity were taken for Czechoslovak Army use and later sold to Romania.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I got the VZ 24, has the lion scrubbed a while back from AIM. Even with the bayo, for the money, I will never buy another one of its type w/o being able to look down the bore first. A little dark would be a gross understatement in reguards to mine. Pitted, scored, crusty and black is more like it. I am really surprised it shoots as well as it does. Sometimes I get 2" at 70 yards and sometimes I get 4" at 70 yards. Shooting mainly Turkish surplus.

In AIM's defense, they did offer to let me kick the tires for a month and get a refund or trade on another firearm if I wanted. I decided to keep it, I think I could get as much for it selling it locally if I wanted to.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
I'm sorry, but CZ24 brings up an ENTIRELY different picture in my mind than VZ24. A MUCH smaller gun. We need to use the correct terminology.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,092 Posts
3 straight line vz-24's are quite a bit more common than arch crested. I believe there were a million or so 3 line rifles, and only 250,000 + the SCW arch crested ones. 125,000 vz-23's and 100,000 transitional vz-24's.
gil

·
Registered
396 Posts
UPS guy showed up. Thought he wasn't going to make it, it started to storm pretty good, thought the backyard might float away (a good couple of inches of rain).

Got mine, a arch crested one E24 on the side of the receiver N81xx for a SN no "R" in it. I guess its still most likely Romanian contract, but still neat. Very satisfied. Bayonet is great, EP'd to a Romanian contract rifle (AIM probably didn't match the bayonets to the rifles (a shame, but I understand that would take some time)).

pics to follow in a few days.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think I'm going to get one. How's the cosmoline on these things? Not a big deal, I'm used to it with the Yugo's. Just wondering.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,092 Posts
N code right on the cusp of the vz-23 and development of vz-24. No actual records exist anymore. If the barrel is original front sight will have a cut (threaded)for mounting of a sight like a later model K-98. Originally a 23 or transitional 24 would have had a dozen parts individually fitted to the reciever and #ed to match. After that run of 25,000 arch crested rifles the czechs had figured that they had interchangeable parts down pat and only #ed the reciever, bolt and stock. At that point they switched to the 3 flat line crest.
gil

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,654 Posts
Got my 1939 hand select today - will post pics later

Serial BR 55xx
Bolt is ep'd matching
Safety is non matching stamped 7917 or 917. Hard to tell
Stock stamped matching
Minor arsenal repair to front upper handguard
Missing small triggerguard screw (capture screws are there though - weird)
Metal finish is excellent from arsenal reblue. black paint on some metal - I'm assuming to cover up areas of worn finish
Import marked on barrel

Bayo non matching ep'd serial # ER19708

Any chance someone got mine?

·
15,261 Posts
More like 1 in 2,500,000 assuming the AR-YR blocks were 100,000 each. There is no reason to think the Romanian refurbs were imported with matching serial numbered bayonets.
Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
396 Posts
N code right on the cusp of the vz-23 and development of vz-24. No actual records exist anymore. If the barrel is original front sight will have a cut (threaded)for mounting of a sight like a later model K-98. Originally a 23 or transitional 24 would have had a dozen parts individually fitted to the reciever and #ed to match. After that run of 25,000 arch crested rifles the czechs had figured that they had interchangeable parts down pat and only #ed the reciever, bolt and stock. At that point they switched to the 3 flat line crest.
gil
I've got the Receiver, barrel, rear sight and rear sight ladder, and the adjustor/selector (not right name) on the rear sight all matching SNs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've got THE Model

Actually, upon further inspection, AIM already posted a picture for me! My rifle's crest is the one they used for the picture! I can tell due to the slight imperfection above the "Y" in VYROBU which connects to the "C" in CS.

Neat.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,654 Posts
Good news - I found the screws in a zip lock bag stuffed in the mag pouch. Not sure why they did this but glad I found them - I usually just stuff the accessories away without much of a look.

Here's my pics - I still need to clean it up

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
Very nice. Yours also has an original stock and handguard. Many (most?) of the Romanian rifles in this batch seem to have blonde replacement stocks and/or handguards, which aren't nearly as attractive as the originals.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,653 Posts
I got my vz24 from Aim Saturday. It was delivered Friday, but I shoot with the ups guy, and he leaves my guns at a mutual friends business. I had ordered a yugo TOK from them a day or two before. So Saturday was a good day, as I picked them both up. I didn't do a handpick on either, and it turned out there was no need too. As for the Mauser, it is in awesome shape. In fact, I was very happy. vz24s conjures up images in my mind of a scrubbed well used rifle. This one of course is a refurb, but it is excellent. There was a little debris in the grooves, but a half hearted pass with a cleaning rod and the bore is shineing. I doubt this one has been used much at all. The metal is deeply blued from the refurb, and I haven't disassembled the bolt yet but perhaps the firing pin as well? There is an EP mark on the bolt handle, non matching. Headspace passes with flying colors. The package left nothing to be desired. Included were capture screws, sight protector, cleaning rod, sling, pouch, and an excellent bayonet with old paper wrapping still on the handle. BTW, the TOK was excellent as well. Once again AIM comes through for me. I have always had good luck with them, but this vz is amazing.
I guess the best thing for me is the location and type of import mark. It looks fresh, but it is located on the barrel like the old days, albiet on the side.

So now I have a question, the importer seems to think these were Romanian Contract rifles. OK I can buy that even though mine doesn't have an R.

But they were listed as 'rare dated mausers', in the scheme of things, just how rare?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,082 Posts
So now I have a question, the importer seems to think these were Romanian Contract rifles. OK I can buy that even though mine doesn't have an R.

But they were listed as 'rare dated mausers', in the scheme of things, just how rare?
Unfortunately, hard numbers are not available, so it's tough to say for certain. They are certainly less common than the Romanian refurbed rifles with scrubbed Carol/Michael crests. But we may never know for sure exactly how many non-Romanian-crested rifles the Romanians received.

Sources state the Brno supplied somewhere between 400,000 and 750,000 rifles to Romania. Of those Romanian contract rifles, only small fraction would be non-Romanian-crested rifles, which were apparently used to fill in contract shipments when production fell short. It's just a wild guess, but I'd say 1% of the contract is being generous. So that puts it at (or less than) 4,000 to 7,500 rifles that the Romanian received that did not have the Romanian crest, but instead had a date, a commercial straight or curved logo, or on rare occasions even a Czech lion crest.

However, there's also the possibility that some of the Vz. 24 rifles refurbed by the Romanians and imported to the US from Romania were either captured in the late war period, or sold or given to Romania in the post-war period. That second source of non-Romanian-crested rifles would skew the numbers a bit.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,653 Posts
Unfortunately, hard numbers are not available, so it's tough to say for certain. They are certainly less common than the Romanian refurbed rifles with scrubbed Carol/Michael crests. But we may never know for sure exactly how many non-Romanian-crested rifles the Romanians received.

Sources state the Brno supplied somewhere between 400,000 and 750,000 rifles to Romania. Of those Romanian contract rifles, only small fraction would be non-Romanian-crested rifles, which were apparently used to fill in contract shipments when production fell short. It's just a wild guess, but I'd say 1% of the contract is being generous. So that puts it at (or less than) 4,000 to 7,500 rifles that the Romanian received that did not have the Romanian crest, but instead had a date, a commercial straight or curved logo, or on rare occasions even a Czech lion crest.

However, there's also the possibility that some of the Vz. 24 rifles refurbed by the Romanians and imported to the US from Romania were either captured in the late war period, or sold or given to Romania in the post-war period. That second source of non-Romanian-crested rifles would skew the numbers a bit.
Good info, and the best I have seen to date. However in general how many would be date marked, not just the Romanian Contract. Are these truly rare? From what I get from the thread, the dated rifles sent to Romania were sent by the Germans cleaning out the parts bins. Who would the dated ones have originally been for? The Czechs themselves?

Sorry for all the questions.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts