Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First day with the new one. No problems.

Bad weather with blowing snow and howling wind. Fun Fun Fun! :D

We shot the 25 meter Army alternate pistol course and the normal chunks of firewood and the like.

Put about 160 rounds thru the Romanian Tokarev. Mostly Romanian surplus ammo, some Wolf Gold.

Pistol printed about 10 inches to the right. Drifted the rear sight and zeroed it for windage. Prints about 2 inches high at 25m.

Here's the prone series;

And some quickfire on the wolf's head;

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Jiffy TOK!

Did those original issue star grips come on it or did you get them aftermarket?
Last I knew they had to have those silly "target" thumb rest grips as well as the chintzy "safety" in order to be imported.

I have a Polish TOK and it is a jiffy little pistol to be sure!
Don't know how the Romies stack up, but have heard no complaints thus far.

Good shooting, by the way!

Have seen rumors that C&R sidearms that are no longer in production can now be shipped to a C&R FFL via UPS 2-day air instead of overnight express, which is a LOT less expensive.
Have you heard anything about that?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Grips came with the gun, as well as the big safety which was poorly finished. I polished it up and had a gunsmith friend reblue it.

Finish on the gun is excellent, and it appeared unused. Really nice pistol.

I have not heard anything about new shipping rules.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Did those original issue star grips come on it or did you get them aftermarket?
Last I knew they had to have those silly "target" thumb rest grips as well as the chintzy "safety" in order to be imported.

I have a Polish TOK and it is a jiffy little pistol to be sure!
Don't know how the Romies stack up, but have heard no complaints thus far.

Good shooting, by the way!

Have seen rumors that C&R sidearms that are no longer in production can now be shipped to a C&R FFL via UPS 2-day air instead of overnight express, which is a LOT less expensive.
Have you heard anything about that?
There must have been a rule change. This is from Empire Arms website:

"SHIPPING charges for HANDGUNS Since November 1, 2008 USED handguns can only be shipped by UPS via SECOND-DAY air, adult signature required. Federal Express has always had this next-day policy for all firearms and DSL will not ship any firearm to anyone, including dealers. The USPS (post office) allows handgun shipments between DEALERS and MANUFACTURERS, but *NOT* to or from C&R licensees (it doesn't matter, as we do not ship via the Post Office anyway due to their non-existent tracking ability)."

I have received two Nagant's and one Romanain Tok recently via UPS second day air. Two came from J&G and one from from a gun shop. Some places are doing this but some aren't. I seen others post that SOG uses 2nd day Air now as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
[Have seen rumors that C&R sidearms that are no longer in production can now be shipped to a C&R FFL via UPS 2-day air instead of overnight express, which is a LOT less expensive.
Have you heard anything about that?[/QUOTE]

the Rom TT 33s I got from SOG were shipped 2nd day air.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had bought one of those from my father years ago with the star on the side. Cost $107.00 U.S. back then. Was not all that accurate but if you practiced with it you were good out to about 20yrds. Kept it for years, and then about five years ago, trying to be a good guy, I gave it to my ex-girl friend so she could defend herself. Her thieving nephew brook in her house and stole it two months later. She didn't last long afterward either.

·
Registered
843 Posts
LeeSpeed, I wondered when I'd read you impressions of the Romanian TT-33. Pretty well made, aren't they. Internally I think they're about on par with the Polish guns, and it seems you're finding yours to be pretty accurate. I've resisted the urge to modify mine, though I did think through. For street carry I'd modify the backstrap by sweating on a palm swell. I'd cut the hammer spur off. I'd cut the slide lock lug off of the sear body. I'd cut away the back half of the ledge on the slide stop so I could get at that safety in a hurry. I'd debur and radius that safety, as you have done. I'd round the front sight and lower and dehorn the rear sight on a pattern similar to that seen on Browning pocket pistols. And although I'd be very much in minority in doing so, I'd probably flatten the mag catch so I couldn't loose the mag. It'd take a pointed object like a key to drop the mag after that, but for my purposes -- common urban and road defense -- I'd probably be smacking some dummy on the head with the butt of the gun as soon as it ran empty anyway. But after thinking all that through I realized I'd only wind up carrying my Makarov anyway. Keep us posted on your new acquisition -- and Happy New Year to all.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Begemot:

Yes, the Romanian pistols appears to be very nicely made indeed.

These guns really deserve a good inertia FP. I believe one could be made to fit, and possibly an original modified to do so. The mod appears to demand a lengthening of the reduced diameter portion of the shaft to allow more protrusion of the tip, and then the tip or strike portion shortened. I do not believe this could be done without weakening the FP to the point I wouldn't trust it. Maybe if I get a few spares I'll whittle a few and see if one could be made to fit and function well and reliably. As for now, I'll just leave it alone and carry it empty chamber. Certainly it looks like a factory-new commercial FP could me made to work well and make these guns inertial and much safer.

The other day, about a week ago, I had reason to appreciate the positive pin. Blowing snow had built up around the pistol, in every crevasse and spot that could hold any, then melted as the gun was carried close to me, and on top of it, perspiration from carrying the gun in holster under my anorak had melted and frozen. {I was hunched over going thru thick, heavy snow-laden fir and pine boughs and covered in snow}. I absolutely could NOT draw the slide or remove the magazine, as the guns was "snow-welded" up. Fortunately I had been chasing a snowshoe hare around and had a round in the chamber and gun at half ****. Only option was to creakily force the hammer back {only part I could move}, point the muzzle at the ground and and fire it to try to loosen the thing up. Everything was mucked up good, but the old Tok went bang! and that broke the ice-weld on the slide and gun vibration allowed me to release the mag, too. I am not certain if an inertia pin gun would have complied, but I am certain I would have had a useless gun had it been a revolver, as the necessity to rotate the hammer while cocking would have closed the deal before I even got a shot out. One of the reasons I prefer autos in winter...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts