Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 477 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Received mine today (pics to come tonight if the rain holds off)

1943 Izhevsk (Big surprise ;) )
-Wartime stock with very sharp cartouches, light shellac finish (not red more yellow)
-The stock cut where PU base goes is very poorly done
-Scope number on barrel shank is crossed off, no new number
-PU scope: 1943 Omsk if my research is correct (if not everyone can correct me later)
-Bore is at least a 9 out of 10, no pitting!
-Molot export marks and PW import marks are ugly billboards, but I'll get over that (I wonder if these are later or earlier than the recent PW arms with the under the barrel import marks?)

Overall I am very satisfied, was hoping for a deep red wartime stock but no complaints here

·
Registered
476 Posts
That's a good looking stock with some nice cartouches!! I'm jealous!

I received mine yesterday. It's a '44 with matching bolt and floorplate. Buttplate is a mismatch. Old scope number is struck out with no new scope number. Mount has scope number and rifle serial electro-penciled. The scope is an early '44 Yoshkar-Ola, came with lens covers, and was caked in cosmoline. Very clear optics! Bore is shiny with no corrosion and the rifling is sharp, but the grooves are not terribly deep at the chamber and muzzle. (However, my best shooting 91/30 is an ex-sniper that could almost pass for a smoothbore from the right angle, so we'll see how she shoots first). Crown is smooth and shiny.

The stock on mine looks looks beautiful and almost brand new with no cartouches whatsoever. However, judging by the rounded edges on the finger grooves, it appears to have been sanded and refinished at some point. Not a typical dark or light red refurb stock. It looks more like my '39 finn-capture stock with a lighter-colored handguard and a dark brown-red stock. Arrived in a box from Tula, labeled "hunting carbine" like the rest, and P.W. Arms import stamp. I'll post photos as soon as I can take some during daytime. Can't wait to see how it shoots!

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
. . . -Molot export marks and PW import marks are ugly billboards, but I'll get over that (I wonder if these are later or earlier than the recent PW arms with the under the barrel import marks?)

Overall I am very satisfied, was hoping for a deep red wartime stock but no complaints here
Can't blame Molot for that export mark-blame Tula. :)

That stock is super nice. Normally, when you see an intact cartouche/acceptance mark like that, it's on an original matching rifle. This one appears to be scrubbed/restamped, but that stock is still a major plus IMO, and the bore/overall condition make this one a winner!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I called Aim about the missing lens cover and was told they were not advertised to be included . But they were not advertised to be missing either . Repo lens covers will set you back about $40.00 .

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,451 Posts
Sharp rifle!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm happy

Mine showed up today with some stock markings not quite as nice as Brasky's but I'm still happy. Mine is also missing the scope caps. Buttstock, bolt, magazine floor plate all match. Not familiar with these, can someone tell me what scope I have and why there is no year on it or any other markings for that matter? Also, what is significance of the arrow in triangle at bottom of receiver? Bore looks very nice, can't get a very good picture but here goes...

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Mine showed up today with some stock markings not quite as nice as Brasky's but I'm still happy. Mine is also missing the scope caps. Buttstock, bolt, magazine floor plate all match. Not familiar with these, can someone tell me what scope I have and why there is no year on it? Also, what is significance of the arrow in triangle at bottom of receiver? Bore looks very nice, can't get a very good picture but here goes...
The triangle arrow is part of the Izhevsk arsenal's markings, and your scope is a 1944 Yoshkar-Ola. I'd be interested in seeing pics of all the serials on the rifle-the stock appears to be unsanded, and that often goes hand-in-hand with an original matching rifle.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well here it is, lighting wasn't on my side but better pictures will have to wait. Note: This is before I cleaned any cosmo off

Very nice cartouche

Um, you have nothing else to hope for. Your rifle is original matching and probably the nicest '43 Izhevsk 91/30 PU to ever have been posted on this forum, period. That stock is exactly the way it should look. There's been some nice '44s posted, but no '43s like yours. That's a $1500+ dollar rifle my friend. I would really like to see the scope serial stamped on the barrel shank if you don't mind.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Um, you have nothing else to hope for. Your rifle is original matching and probably the nicest '43 Izhevsk 91/30 PU to ever have been posted on this forum, period. That stock is exactly the way it should look. There's been some nice '44s posted, but no '43s like yours. That's a $1500+ dollar rifle my friend. I would really like to see the scope serial stamped on the barrel shank if you don't mind.
The scope serial is lined out on the barrel shank and no replacement is stamped the current scope number is electro penciled on the mount however. I can post a pic of the barrel shank tonight. Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine showed up today with some stock markings not quite as nice as Brasky's but I'm still happy. Mine is also missing the scope caps. Buttstock, bolt, magazine floor plate all match. Not familiar with these, can someone tell me what scope I have and why there is no year on it or any other markings for that matter? Also, what is significance of the arrow in triangle at bottom of receiver? Bore looks very nice, can't get a very good picture but here goes... View attachment 787577 View attachment 787575 View attachment 787576 View attachment 787578
So far that looks to be a good one. A full rifle picture would be appreciated when you get time. As far as scopes, this is a great thread on identifying:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?268991-PU-sniper-scopes-1940-1945

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
That's what I thought at first too, but when you look closer at the fonts, you can see it's scrubbed/restamped-the B, 4, and 5 are very different from the shank stamping on the other parts. It appears to be a refurb that was installed into an unsanded/unrefinished stock. I saw a similar condition refurb 91/30 at Cabelas a couple of months ago, so it does happen.

Not to take anything away from this rifle, though-if I could have seen exactly what I'd get before ordering and was offered this one even at a considerably higher price than AIM was charging for these, I'd haver ordered in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That's what I thought at first too, but when you look closer at the fonts, you can see it's scrubbed/restamped-the B, 4, and 5 are very different from the shank stamping on the other parts. It appears to be a refurb that was installed into an unsanded/unrefinished stock. I saw a similar condition refurb 91/30 at Cabelas a couple of months ago, so it does happen.

Not to take anything away from this rifle, though-if I could have seen exactly what I'd get before ordering and was offered this one even at a considerably higher price than AIM was charging for these, I'd haver ordered in a heartbeat.
You may well be right on that one after looking hard at those photos again. That stock is absolutely stunning though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here's the one I picked up from AIM. Only had time for a couple photos, but will shoot more later. Everything matches but the buttplate. Original sniper serial was x'd out. Scope optics are crisp and clear. Very happy with the bore now that I've cleaned it and looked at in daylight. Would love some nice stamped cartouches, but happy to settle for a pretty stock.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yep! '44 Izhevsk. Thanks! I wouldn't have minded one with stamps intact like yours, but I don't mind the pretty wood at all.

·
Silver Bullet Member
802 Posts
Grabbed mine from UPS today. No lens caps on mine either. 1943 all matching with a struck scope number and a refurb scope. Not quite as nice as those pictured but the bore is tight and bright.

1 - 20 of 477 Posts