Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I bought a shotgun, a Chinese clone from Aim back in February. They shipped so fast, it arrived at my FFL's shop 2 days earlier than the tracking number indicated?!

Bet the No.4's are regular rifles and not Pakistani, but who knows. Thats not a bad price.

·
Copper Bullet member
251 Posts
I called Century on Friday. They said they haven't seen Pakis for a while. AIM gets theirs from Century so .....

I'm assuming they are Brits too. $159 is good so it may be worth the gamble to see what ya get. I'm gonna order one. I need a Maltby. I'll keep my fingers crossed.:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've already ordered mine, I went for hand select too. Depending on condition I may order a couple more if the first one turns out ok.

The only other Enfield I have is a Long Branch I got from Century. Supposedly it came from Bulgaria and it was severely abused. The barrel was in pretty sorry shape and the whole gun was covered in what looked like axle grease and sand. After cleaning out what gunk I could I tested it out at the range and was shooting about 12" groups at 100 yards. I may end up completely refinishing the Long Branch and removing the firing pin to turn it into a non-firing display model; that or just keeping it around for parts.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
They look real nice except of course for the stupid CIA engraving on the side of the reciever. Why do they do that so badly.... it wrecks an excellent good gun?
Because they want to stay on the right side of BATFE.

·
Copper Bullet member
251 Posts
I guess BATFE wants all imports marked by the importer in a position that you don't have to look to hard to see. I've seen the markings up under the muzzle. That seems better than smack on the side of the receiver where the historical information belongs.:(

·
Gold Bullet member
896 Posts
For a time the import marks were getting so small and light as to be almost non-existent. So the regs were re-written to "cure" that problem. One of the amendments was to require that the mark be on the receiver.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I placed an order for one this afternoon. The lady I talked to recommended the handpick option, so I sprung for it. She said she usually doesn't recommend the handpick, but for these she does. I am really curious to see what I get.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Import markings

The BATF&E requirement for import markings requires stamping or engraving on the "barrel, frame or receiver" the company name, city/town and state, caliber and country of manufacture. These CAN be abbreviated. The only changes that have ever been made to this requirement, (2-3 years ago I think), was for importers using engraving equipment. There is a depth requirement of 2-3mm. This is because engraving doesn't change the metal structure and if done light enough, will disappear altogether with minimal effort. An example of this is an ex-Israeli issue Hi Power Mk.III pistol that I refinished a few years ago with phosphate and Suncorite 259 paint. When I bead blasted the the frame to prepare it for Parkerizing, the import mark completely disappeared as it was barely engraved through the original paint finish! Metal hand stamps can still be used as small as 1/32". Even the slightest strike will alter the metallurgy and the markings can be raised with chemicals for tracing should someone remove the mark. This isn't the case with pantograph engraving. ATB.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Got my tracking number from AIM today. It should be here tomorrow; I'm not sure if anyone will be home to sign for it though. I may have to pick it up at the depot.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,312 Posts
Great information...

....I guess the importers using those huge butt ugly dot matrix stamps consider it free advertising.
It advertises to me to look elsewhere!
...limpetmine

The BATF&E requirement for import markings requires stamping or engraving on the "barrel, frame or receiver" the company name, city/town and state, caliber and country of manufacture. These CAN be abbreviated. The only changes that have ever been made to this requirement, (2-3 years ago I think), was for importers using engraving equipment. There is a depth requirement of 2-3mm. This is because engraving doesn't change the metal structure and if done light enough, will disappear altogether with minimal effort. An example of this is an ex-Israeli issue Hi Power Mk.III pistol that I refinished a few years ago with phosphate and Suncorite 259 paint. When I bead blasted the the frame to prepare it for Parkerizing, the import mark completely disappeared as it was barely engraved through the original paint finish! Metal hand stamps can still be used as small as 1/32". Even the slightest strike will alter the metallurgy and the markings can be raised with chemicals for tracing should someone remove the mark. This isn't the case with pantograph engraving. ATB.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's the point of them anyway? Unless its just to piss off collectors. :)
So the feds can track what comes into the country.

·
Registered
343 Posts
What the hell, they are supposed to email me when they get new stuff:mad:

and to think I just paid my electric bill, I'm sure the dark wouldn't be to bad when you can run around shooting fake zombies with a .303:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
The CAI stamp looks to me like a laser “stamp”. A laser is much cheaper and easier to set up than a roll stamp. Just lay the gun onto a jig hit the button and the laser dots out a stamp. The laser “stamping” itself can be easily changed within the computer program. Whereas with a roll stamp, especially on a curved surface like a barrel it takes some time and effort to set up properly. That and roll stamps can be very expensive to have made and they do wear out and or break.

I work in a tool factory and we went to the much cheaper and easier laser stamping for just these reasons and I’m sure the importers feel the same way. Myself, I think the roll stamp looks much nicer though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts