Gunboards Forums banner

AH Troops in Palestine

1394 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  JPS
Here is an interesting article on Austro-Hungarian troops in Palestine, 1915-1918: http://www.gilzohar.ca/.

-Devo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
What happened to all their M95 Stutzen? I suppose they disappeared into the Souks and tribal reserves?

Over the years, there have been no sign of M95s in Turkish use ( except for one short film about "Border problems" set in the 1930s ( a village cut in half by the positioning of the border between Turkey and Syria) where the Guards carry a mixture of Mausers and what looks like an M95 with Mauser front bands ( only a fleeting gloance)...did Turkey convert some M95s to 7,9mm.cal, or just convert the bands to take German bayonets?...anyway this was a Movie gun, so all things are possible.
As to residual M95s in Palestine, there are no known Photos of them in the hands of Jewish settlers, or Bedouin Arabs....

MY assumption that they were "Stutzens" come from the Artillery Nature of the Units, and also one photo of AustroHungarian medical (Stretcher-bearers) with not M95s, but Kar98a!!! Given the nature of the warfare in Palestine (The Arabs left no wounded Turks Alive) it is proper to believe that any Medical personal would have been armed, to protect the wounded.
Any further info or photos of the personal Arms of the AH contingent?

Regards,
Doc AV.
See less See more
Doc AV and Devo,
Thanks for the posting of little known information.

"Bugler. Sound the charge." Captain Nathan Brittles
Good link...thanks. I never knew that AH sent troops to Palestine.
... Over the years, there have been no sign of M95s in Turkish use ( except for one short film about "Border problems" set in the 1930s...
For what it is worth, the only physical evidence I have seen of the Turkish use of the M95 is a M95 frog and empty scabbard, the frog with a Turkish name scratched into it, the scabbard unfortunately with no marks anywhere.

Trajan
Great article! Thanks Devo!

This will be of great help with one of my current projects that I'll discuss later.

Waaaaay too cool!

Warmest regards,

John
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.