Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years and untold trials I was finally able to find a decent load for my 71 Mauser 6.5x53.5 Daudeteau Rifle. This is off the bench at 50 yards, 73 year old eyes and terrible sights.The load is 26 grains of IMR 4895, 140 Gr. Hornady flat base bullet in resized 7.62x54mm Russian cases. I estimate the velocity about 1800 FPS but I check it out with my chronograph next week. All in all, very pleased. I thought the light load may cause some problems but all went well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great work! I really enjoy these guns getting back to the range after a hundred years of silence!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Great work, I have only shot mine twice with a total of 20 rounds, but very pleasant to shoot

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
this is a revolutionary experience pleas go on to 100 m
my old eyes are with you ,go on and do it !!!!!!
greetings from Jarmann
Moving to 100 meters (or even yards) will compound the shooters problem with his vision and sights.

I hear this all the time, and I find it rather irritating. All that moving to 100yard (or worse meters) will
accomplish is making things look worse than they really are. I am all for 200 yards shooting if me and the equipment are up to the task. That is becuase my club has steel at 200. The other place I shoot only goes to 100, but we are allowed to setup out own steel. The Garand, LeeEnfield, 03a3 all have better sights. I used to shoot the Garand a lot better at 18yrs than at 70 yrs. That is a rifle with good sights.

As a rough estimate, a 50 yard group can be estimated at 100 meters by multiplication by 2.2. I am eye balling this result as 3 moa or less. And 10 shots (?), where a lot of us will do 5.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just for grins and giggles I tried 100 yards yesterday and it was as expected...about 5 inch group. I only had four rounds left and failed to take a picture. Also, battery was dead in the chronograph so I'll try next week. Folding the rear left sight forward helps a little, it only shoots about 12 inches high instead of two feet. The very good thing is it looks like the sights are centered even though high. I gotta do something about the old eyes!! ;-)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Noble effort.

Kinda kidding about the new eye, I guess. You can try the "eye pal" or one of the mechanical eye glass apertures. I use the eyepal and still do better at 50 than 100. Better, meaning less than 1/2 group size at 1/2 the distance.

You may know this already, but; if POI is 2 foot high, even a very slight canting of the rifle will result in a horizontal and a bit low spreading of the group. Your group looked good at 50. Although there is that 2 shots lower that hint at even greater potential.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the Daudeteau Rifle back to the range today with the Chronograph and had a 10 shot average of 2217 FPS with a standard deviation of 32.56. Not great but not bad. I estimated the velocity at 1800 FPS so I was off a lot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts