Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had more pics but they got deleted on accident (Ill never let anyone use my phone ever again) IMG_2760[1].jpg IMG_8581[1].jpg

I cant get the rest open. I only have 5 pics total of AK's ( had about 10). First one is the marks off a Russian one, second one is me with a Chinese Type 56. It had a bakelite stock with a goofy looking bakelite grip. I havent found any of these grips it had, it looked similar to the Chinese M16 copy

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IMG_1250[1].jpg

Chinese Spiker with a Russian behind it. The spiker had some sort of leather/plastic stuff put onto the grip and handguards. I misremember if the russian was stamped or milled.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG_3294[1].jpg

Milled Russian, dated 1954 (I have a pic of the markings for this one, but cant seem to get it off my email). It had a ton of markings underneath the date. This one was in perfect shape.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMG_1944[1].jpg

Ok, here are the markings for the last one I posted. Have no idea what the markings below the maker and date mean.

I had pictures of Chinese marks, other Russian marks, and a few destroyed weapons, and other AK's, theyre all gone though.

Have a pic on here of an old Mujahideen with a Chinese commercial side folder, but I am not going to post it because he was working for us, and I dont want the bad guys to see it and put him in any danger. But I definitely did see a chinese side folder (milled receiver). Unfortunately, I didnt get any pictures of the blinged out weapons.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=128&t=633644

This is the AK grip that was on the Chinese. It was a purplish color. Id love to find one of these grips. I am going to do an AK build one of these days and I want to make it look like an Afghan AK. They used a hodgepodge of different AK's, mostly Chinese and Russian, but I did see a Romy G type without the G. Also, one of the private security guys from Easter Europe saw a Yugo AK on one of the FOB's. Id imagine there are NK ones, EG ones, Egyptian ones etc (i brought back an Egyptian bayonet, along with two soviets and a Romanian). I also brought back a sling that was taken off a milled Chinese underfolder we had captured. The only part of the sling Ive been able to identify is the clip, which is from a CETME, the rest of it is pretty much anything Haji could get his hands on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I remember correctly, that type of grip (with the reddish-color) was on some of the Chinese side-folders that were imported to the U.S. in the mid-80's. I'm sure others will chime in. I don't think I've ever come across any of those grips for sale individually.

·
Registered
255 Posts
One of my Norinco AK sidefolders from the 80's has that grip and matching handguards and insert on the sidefolding stock. Other than that particular one, I've never seen one except, rarely, online.

Hope you find one & thank you for your service.

Cheers,

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 69-70 & 71-72

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,620 Posts
JoshMan, IMO that is a pretty good local copy of a Russian Milled. I am not an expert on that vintage, but the arrow/triangle, "r" in model and checkering in the rear sight slider don't look like the one Russian I've seen in person. I could be mistaken though, I'm going off memory from a long time ago.

The alphabet soup in the milled slot is a reasonable impersonation of the multiple proof marks on the bolts and stocks of my 1950's Russian SKS's. I think whoever made this AK was quite skilled and had a real one to work off of. Again I could be completely wrong, I know the 1949/50 SKS's had some free hand stamping, very similar to your pic.

I've seen one of those grips at the last gun show for peanuts. If it's there this weekend again, I'll snag it for you.

I wonder if your mystery sling originally came off a HK G3, which were fielded by Pakistan and made in POF for a number of years. I heard that although respected by the Mudj, G3s fell out of favor because they are heavy and 7.62 NATO was too hard to find.

thanks for the neat pics

PH

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Here's another example of the markings on a 50's vintage Russian AK-47 found in Afghanistan. From CJ Chivers blog/book "The Gun":

tumblr_ly6rksvV8r1qd74g2.jpg

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Portholio, I'd definitely buy it off of you if you find it there again, once I start an AK build, I'm going to put a hodge podge of parts on it just to make it look like something from down range, definitely, thank you very much. It was the only AK I saw over there with that grip. Also was one of the only actual Chinese military stamped AK's (had the Chinese selector markings and Chinese type markings). I saw some of their commercial Chinese ones as well.

The Russian with the alphabet soup could definitely be a local made one. I saw a lot of the khyber pass rifles for sale in Bagram, and they ran the gamut of extremely high quality to absolute garbage. I did see a S&W victory model for sale there too, but he wouldn't sell it to US guys because of our bringback regs (some of the guys from other countries could bring stuff home). I also had a savage made No4 MK1 that I played around with for a while, but it ended up in the burn pit before we left, this was better than any Lee Enfield I've ever seen in the US, it was all matching, no refurbing at all, and about 99% finish. Also saw Tula made bakelite mags, but the Infantry guys destroyed those (I'd like to find a Bakelite Tula mag here too). Also got to see an RPG2 launcher before it got put in the pile and a thermite grenade set off ontop of the pile.

I brought back a ton of souvenirs, mostly afghani things like scarves, a rug, hats and clothing (making friends with the Afghans gets you all kinda of gifts, for about a month I ate Afghan food every day instead of the feces they served at the DFAC, it's crazy how these guys have nothing, but they're more generous than most Americans you'll ever meet, the clothes I bought, but I got about 20 scarves that I paid for, I still wear them too). But I did get a soviet canteen, 4 bayonets, a Russian sling, my mystery sling, belts and a set of y straps, patches from various countries, a pair of ANCOP digital camo pants and some soviet and afghan communist medals. No weapon parts or anything illegal though (I did have a few jade rocks that got confiscated in bagram by customs, which sucked because I was going to give them away as gifts, they were confiscated because they weren't polished, also had my Ronson cigar lighter taken away too and my shampoo, I was thinking "I'm in my uniform and I have an M16a4 rifle here, is this really necessary???"), I wasn't even going to risk that. Everything I brought back was cleared through customs and through USPS. Anything weapon related had to be sent home registered mail (IE bayonets). I saved the customs forms for the bayonets, so I guess I could use those as my bringback papers lol.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
That's the good old Russian Izhevsk logo on that Kalashnikov, the makers of modern AKS, AKMs and Saigas and the Baikal line of shotguns and rifles among many other products, and the past makers of millions of Mosins. Kalashnikov himself worked there and his son now does.

Here's another example of the markings on a 50's vintage Russian AK-47 found in Afghanistan. From CJ Chivers blog/book "The Gun":

View attachment 726002

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the good old Russian Izhevsk logo on that Kalashnikov, the makers of modern AKS, AKMs and Saigas and the Baikal line of shotguns and rifles among many other products, and the past makers of millions of Mosins. Kalashnikov himself worked there and his son now does.
What do the alphabet soup markings mean on the 1954 afghan AK that I took pictures of? Are they just proof marks or refurb marks or haji added marks? Most of these AK's were owned by a private security company that employed Afghans. They used exclusively AK47's and AKM's.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
That it is. And now that I look at the lightening cut closely, it appears that there are some faint marks stamped in that area of that example, as well.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
53,228 Posts
What do the alphabet soup markings mean on the 1954 afghan AK that I took pictures of? Are they just proof marks or refurb marks or haji added marks? Most of these AK's were owned by a private security company that employed Afghans. They used exclusively AK47's and AKM's.
The one rifle looks to be a cottage made AK and not an authentic Russian, I understand they mark them up in that way to make them look like they are more real, having passed through a bunch of proof houses and the like...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Some of those Khyber pass weapons are done really well, but the you never know if they will hold up to firing. My neighbor's son who was a local gunsmith and Vietnam vet was given a Khyber pass rifle by his son who got it from his unit after being sent home after receiving multiple wounds while pulling another soldier out of the line of fire. Anyway the rifle blew up and killed him, the whole thing was really sad. My neighbor's a really tough old lady, her dad was in WW1 and was sent back after being seriously wounded, her husband fought in the Philippines until he was wounded, her son went to Vietnam until he was wounded and sent home and her grandson was wounded in Afghanistan and sent home. Her husband and other son were both taken by cancer too soon. But she still is upbeat and a hoot to visit with at 90 years old, she has pictures of all her men in uniform proudly displayed on her wall, makes you proud to be an american.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,620 Posts
I don't know the exact meanings, but likely they are supposed to look like factory acceptance proofs for different steps in the manufacturing process. A couple of them are Russian letters, the rest look like just odd hieroglyphs and might be just made up by the counterfeiter. The underside of the barrel shank on my M1 Carbines have a similar cluster of odd letters & symbols, as do the bolts on my Russian SKSs. My guess is that Haji is trying to duplicate the general look & feel of an authentic Russian made AK, to bring a higher price at the arms bazaar. Probably found some Russian letter stamps left over from the invasion, and made up the rest?

As an aside, to this day the Russian economy seems to be centered around the need to some kind of scavenger hunt of obligatory and largely unnecessary stamps for every transaction and consumer product.

As another aside, Izhevsk is a historical city. It is like their version of Detroit, instead of cars it's famous for motorcycles and small arms. Goes back to the days of the Czars I believe.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Josh man: The Afghan generosity you mentioned might be indirectly related (?) somehow to the huge Pashtun tribe's code of protecting a "Lone Survivor", as described in the excellent book by the former SEAL Marcus Luttrell.

Thanks very much for you guys'/gals' service.
Do local units always destroy the extra weapons which can't be brought into the US?

You guys might know all the rules, but several years ago some members of an AFRES (McGuire or Charleston?) C-17 squadron or wing might have faced prison after thinking that nobody would chat or 'whisper' about their AK 'souvenirs' brought along to their US base. A coworker then in the ANG or AFRES heard about this very stupid stunt.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,620 Posts
Joshman, a couple more questions if I may?

1. What ARE the rules about GI bring back?

2. Do Americans ever use captured RPG's? They seem popular around the world, curious what the general Allied opinion is?

Thanks again for the pics & stories.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts