Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to save Comrade Vladimir Ilyitch a ton of Rubles & still get in some aerial gunnery practice? Maybe get into the party & onto the gravy train?

Easy as pie! :) Commandeer a couple Cossacks - build something like this - and mercilessly gun down any cavalry or infantry hecklers!

I'm not sure what MG the Red Baron... err... Red Comrade Pilot is using. Doesn't look quite right for an 08 Maxim. SW

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,151 Posts
At first glance, I thought "Lewis gun. what are the Russkiis doing with one of those?", but on further perusal - I ain't sure. Lookks a bit long and not contoured quite right in the barrel jacket for a Belgian Rattlesnake.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The closer I look, the more I think that might be the case... The only other vintage possibility would be a 1915 Marlin MG for tanks & aircraft. SW

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,151 Posts
It looks like it has a flat pan magazine on top, which usually means Lewis in the West, but there are some Russian guns that use those too. I'm not sure. Maybe if I can figure how to copy the piccie and blow it up...

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
No matter what kind of MG it is, that's one funny picture!
Poot

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
Russian Gunnery training:

BSA made "Anglitski Zakaz" (English Contract) 7,62x54R Lewis Guns, delivered 1916-17 to Russian Imperial Forces, for use in Aircraft and as Ground Guns. many survived WW I, and were issued in 1941 to Siberian troops which went straight from the October Revolution (November) Red Square March to the battlefields outside Moscow. Photos in "The Eastern Front" a coffee table book with loads of Photos.

The Movable "cage" on the balanced lever was designed to give the gunner the experience at firing at a moving target whilst his own position was also moving (The USAAF used shotgunners on trucks in WW II). Simple but effective.

By the way, the guy firng is probably a Cavalry officer (only "upperclass" officers got into the AirCorps) and the guy in the astrakhan is probably his batman. Nothing to do with "
ground use" unless one considers straffing .

At least we have a photo to prove actual use of Lewis Guns by the Ruissians in WW I...quite a few were supplied (See J.Harold Scruby, "The Lewis Gun" (Collector grade Publications) for details on the "English Contract" Russian Lewis guns).

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts