Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im very new to the community and i was just passed down what i believe to be a model 98 i’m having trouble figuring out how to insert the stripe clip! it seems my clips are squared but my insert in the rifle is rounded? the cartridges that were in the stripper clip state that they are 8 mm superspeeds! they were handed down with the rifle

·
Registered
44 Posts
If I'm looking at that clip close enough, I think I can see a small brass tab holding the last cartridge in. That would make that clip a US 30-06 stripper, and I doubt it would fit in a Mauser 98 at all. Mauser 98 style stripper clips have no retaining tabs at the ends and have 3 small nibs on either side to keep it from dropping through the guide on the rifle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If I'm looking at that clip close enough, I think I can see a small brass tab holding the last cartridge in. That would make that clip a US 30-06 stripper, and I doubt it would fit in a Mauser 98 at all. Mauser 98 style stripper clips have no retaining tabs at the ends and have 3 small nibs on either side to keep it from dropping through the guide on the rifle.
thankyou so much for saying something that is totally new to me and yes all these clips have tabs on them, wierd though because the cartridge does state it’s a 8mm i’ll take a photo of some other rounds!! thanks again

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
thankyou so much for saying something that is totally new to me and yes all these clips have tabs on them, wierd though because the cartridge does state it’s a 8mm i’ll take a photo of some other rounds!! thanks again
The heads of the cartridge cases for (among others) 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser, .30-06, 7.7 Japanese, 7.62X51 (and even .45 ACP) are virtually the same diameter, with a similar cannelure in about the same place. These cartridges will 'fit' in the chargers for the other cartridges, but the clip slots on the receivers of rifles built for the other calibers are not usually designed to accept them.

The chargers look enough alike that it is easy to get them confused.

The only exception I have found is that 7mm and 8mm chargers will work reasonably well in the 7.7 Japanese type 99 receiver (but not the other way). Otherwise, you are pretty much SOL trying to mix and match them.

There is a sticky around here somewhere about identifying the various chargers, their calibers, and what rifles they fit that just might be worth taking a look at.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The heads of the cartridge cases for (among others) 8mm Mauser, 7mm Mauser, .30-06, 7.7 Japanese, 7.62X51 (and even .45 ACP) are virtually the same diameter, with a similar cannelure in about the same place. These cartridges will 'fit' in the chargers for the other cartridges, but the clip slots on the receivers of rifles built for the other calibers are not usually designed to accept them.

The chargers look enough alike that it is easy to get them confused.

The only exception I have found is that 7mm and 8mm chargers will work reasonably well in the 7.7 Japanese type 99 receiver (but not the other way). Otherwise, you are pretty much SOL trying to mix and match them.

There is a sticky around here somewhere about identifying the various chargers, their calibers, and what rifles they fit that just might be worth taking a look at.

wow all new knowledge to me thanks for sharing! i think i’m going to look into getting some of the right clips to go along with the rifle !!! you don’t happen to know what i should search for or any suggestions?

·
Gold Bullet member
10,892 Posts
Southern Shooter:

First of all welcome to the forum! All your questions can and will be answered.

Secondly, please do noting to your new Mauser until you get some feedback here.

So very much of what is accepted and promoted as good advice and wise practices on YouTube, Facebook, Reddit, and most other internet sites, is absolutely horrible. The guidance that beginners receive from the most popular and most populated websites is almost always bad. To the point that the beginners, who, with the best intentions, follow the recommendations given, destroy the collector’s value of their new gun.

Please proceed slowly. Please don’t “clean” or “restore” your rifle until you have the information necessary to do so without causing harm.

Welcome aboard and make yourself at home! :)

Reactions: Carbine Kid 2

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
I just stole this picture out of the WTS Forum, but it shows the correct characteristics for an 8mm Mauser charger.

The 8mm chargers are the only ones out there that have the three humps on the siderails (and, yes, that third hump in the middle IS used to charger-load some 8mm rifles).

There are a couple of variants out there as to the construction of these chargers, though.

There is a 'one piece' charger that retains the cartridges by having 'bent-up-ends' on two tabs cut into the bottom of the charger, and the 'usual' charger is a two-piece design, with a separate retaining spring, much like the .30-08 charger you have.

A lot of people find the one-piece chargers to be a pain to use, but with a bit of TLC, they will work just fine. (After all, the Germans got through WWI using the one-piece charger, and until the US troops showed up on the ground in Summer, 1918, they were well on the way to winning that war.) There are also variations (usually by the country that manufactured the chargers after WWII) that will make the chargers either a bit 'tight' or 'loose' as to how they hold the cartridges and will make stripping rounds out of the 'tight' chargers somewhat more difficulr.

In any case, if you can get your hands on a few of these, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
OP I would get a rag with CLP on it and wipe down the metal, you’re getting surface rust on the metal that will most likely get wiped away with a soft cloth and CLP

1 - 20 of 28 Posts