Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

While admiring my recently acquired Husqvarna M-38 I discovered the toe was split where the buttplate screw hole is located. At first I thought I split it, then I reviewed the photos I took within two hours of buying the rifle and I can see a small split. I don't think the seller realized it was split either. I think it is a perfect storm of wood grain, overtightened screw and a dry stock. You can barely see the split in the second set of photos, picture 4, http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?353160-1941-Husqvarna-M-38, however it is there.

I need advice on the best method to repair beech in the Swedish method and/or a recommendation for good stock repairman.

Thanks, Shannon

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have worked on, made from scratch and refurbished gun stocks for years. Here's what I would do, Shannon. Take the buttplate off. Hopefully this piece isn't broken off completely, yet. Clamp the wood from the toe to the top of the butstock so the crack is tight. With a Dermal tool, carve into the butt stock where the lower screw hole is and open up an area laterally along the crack, but not out to the edge. Go as deep as possible so the whole area can be reinforced. Get yourself some BROWNELLS ACRAGLAS GEL. It is the best stuff for any kind of wood stock work. Fill that open area you have created and let harden. When dry clean up so the buttplate will lay where it should and drill a pilot hole for the lower screw. The crack will be solid and it should not show hardly at all.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,684 Posts
The Swedish arsenal repairs were done with a screw or dowel from the bottom through the crack . A dowel or putty covered the screw head . Sometimes two screws or dowels were used , depending on the length of the crack . If you can squeeze some wood glue or Acraglas into the crack before tightening the screw , that will help also .

" Sliver shooter's " option will work as well .

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The only glue I have used with success on stocks is gorilla glue. The dowel plug is a good idea, but a biscuit may work too. Maybe two thin biscuits on both sides of the dowel plug. With glue it's a forever fix.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Use Acraglas.... Clean the surface with denatured alcahol and cotton balls or Q-tips first. If you want to make it look like an arsenal repair use the screws or dowels as mentioned above by Swede but if the crack follows the grain to the wood without crossing over sections of it you may be better off just doing what Silver shooter said as you will not see it at all and any line will look like part of the natural wood grain.

·
9,684 Posts
I forgot to mention if using a screw type repair , make sure it is far enough forward that the buttplate screw will NOT the repair screw .

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gents,

Thanks for the feedback. Since it is running with the grain I think I will go with the Acraglass. If that fails I will up the ante and use dowels and/or screws. Do anyone have photos they wish to share of original Swedish repaired stocks with dowel/screws?

Much obliged, Shannon

·
9,684 Posts
Swedish Arsenal butt stock repairs

Here are 3 Swedish arsenal butt stock repairs :

#1 = 1st 2 photos of a M96 with a crack at the bottom butt plate screw , held by a screw & head covered with putty . Screw head is magnetic .

#2 = next two photos of a M94/14 with a crack at the bottom butt plate screw , held by two wood dowels ( one small & one large ) . These are NOT magnetic .

#3 = last two photos of a M94/14 with the bottom of the butt stock broken off at the butt plate screw , held by one wood dowel & glue . NOT magnetic .

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Swede,

Thanks for the great photos. I appreciate how quick you are to help the uneducated. The toe split seems to be a pretty common problem. I think I will go with the wood dowel method. It looks better. First I will practice on another piece of wood to make sure I have the method down.

Regards, Shannon

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
For sure use Acraglas; no glue - it only makes a mess, won't hold and then screws up a proper repair, JMHO.

I've repaired scores of stocks and never had a failure with Acraglass, I would put two 1/16 pins in at an angle under the buttplate, invisible and strong.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don,

Roger on Acraglas. I've got some this is 5-6 years old. Does that stuff go bad? I have not looked at it in some time. When you say pins to do you mean steel/brass or wood dowels?

Shannon

·
9,684 Posts
I use the Acraglas Gel & it does not keep long . Much less than 5 years . It gets to thick to mix it up . You can tell once you open it up again . I would buy fresh stuff to make sure it holds properly . It is easier to work with .

·
Registered
681 Posts
Broken rifle stock received from UPS delivery

Good Day,
Its ironic this thread is being discussed. I received this rifle yesterday after purchasing it on Gunbroker and was excited as it was going to be my first 94/14. My wife said I looked deflated and just shook my head when I held up the broken stock toe after I found it in the box. Now I'm waiting for the UPS inspector to come by and inspect the packing and damage. The seller has stated he'll refund the purchase price but I'm considering repairing the rifle. Its a nice matching piece otherwise.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Michael

Attachments

·
9,684 Posts
I would send it back in a heart beat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It cost to much to have to repair it yourself . That hurts the value . There are more all matching M94/14's that will turn up on Gunbroker , just keep watching . I doubt UPS will give a value for the damage to make it worth keeping .

How well was it packed ? Can you see any cracks in the auction photos ?

Sorry this happened to you on your first carbine .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.