Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a Russian PE scope (a clone, not a real one, apparently made in Russian recently) on my Mosin-Nagant M91/30.

The adjustable ocular rear lens assembly (a ring marked "+" to the right of "0" and "-" to the left of "0" with unmarked graduations in between) when adjusted from fully counter clockwise to fully clockwise (stop to stop) goes from blurry to less blury. In the fully clockwise position its almost sharp enough but not quite (its usable I suppose but certainly not up to modern standards). Is there a way to extend the rotation clockwise to go past the sharp focus point of the scope?

The rear lens assembly (behind the adjustment) is screwed onto the main tube with a very fine thread like modern scopes but has no locking ring like modern scopes. If I turn it out I can make the reticule somewhat sharper but I have to turn it out a lot and there is no locking ring or set screw (may be missing as there seems to be a hole for one???) to hold it. The image of the target seems unaffected by doing this. Is this lens assembly suppose to be tight on the main tube or be positioned for best reticule sharpness?

This clone PE scope was relatively expensive! I sure hope I can get it to work better than it is now! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

LDBennett

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,562 Posts
Replica PE scopes

LD, I have three of the replica PE scopes. With my glasses on, they are clear at about the "0" setting. With out glasses on I have to turn them all the way clockwise to the - side for them to be clear. The rear lens assemblys on mine have the locking set screw holding them in place. Sounds like your scope is defective, I would return it for another.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Info:

The rear lens screws in and out on a very fine thread and the retaining screw (tiny!) locks it in place. My locking screw is missing. It indeed changes the focus of the reticule but....

The objective (front lens) is blurry because it is focused at 40 feet! Moving the front lens element out after removing the tiny locking screw that is threaded into main tube (only way it will move as it is bottomed on the tube) moves the focus even closer.

Compromising the ocular lens adjustment (rear adjuster with the + and - marks) can get the focus of the target almost acceptable with a small compromise to the sharpness of the reticule.

So the scope is pre-focused to 40 feet but usable at longer ranges if you can accept the blurryness of the target. Its not right and some kind of metal removal seems necessary to get it sharp unless someone knows of a better way to get the focus out to 150 yds where it belongs. Returning it is not an option, I think.

Anone had this problem with these clone PE scopes?

LDBennett

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
You need a SVT scope. The SVT scope was made for this mount. A PU scope (smooth tube) will not fit this mount. A SVT scope or a PU scope can be used on a PU mount. Only a SVT scope can be used with this mount.

·
Registered
806 Posts
the mount that ld has is a top mount for the hex receiver 91/30. The base , mount and
scope all came together as a package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news, kind of.

The seller of the PE scope agreed to take it back and attempt to get it fiixed. But he has no others to replace it with. I hope he either finds another one, or gives up on the obviously bad PE he sold me and gives me my money back.

If I have to find another one myself, who is selling a mount/PE clone scope setup for my Mosin-Nagant M-91/30? I got his setup from Accumounts, Johnny Zhu, and he has no more PE clone scopes. The mount is pretty good and scope was OK too but it had this focus problem that was internal. Too bad. Hope it all works out OK!

LDBennett

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Johnny Zhu emailed to say he fixed it. He says there are shims in the front bell that he removed to force the focus out to where it is suppose to be. We'll see when it gets back but I think it will be fine, based on his comments. Its interesting to know that the clone PE manufacturer designed it for this possibility.

LDBennett

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Don't ask me why this reply was posted on this thread.... I have to stop smoking crack...sorry for the screw up guys. The guy asking about the SVT scope is probably wondering why I responded to a focus issue? :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the PE scope back today and, just as Johnny Zhu said, it is now focused at infinity. And when the rear adjustment is at zero the reticule is sharp, as well as the image. The optical quality is as good as most medium priced modern scopes I have seen. I can easily read street signs down the street and power lines at several hundred yards are sharp.

Thanks Johnny! Accumounts forever!

LDBennett

1 - 13 of 13 Posts