Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So #1 son is coming back from his 3rd (hopefully last) tour in the sandbox and as a welcome home gift has requested me to try and come up with a way to mount his 3 x ACOG TA-33G with the .308 reticle he's used over there on his Yugo .308 M-63 "Tanker" (yes we know it's a marketing thing from MM, but it is a well made and accurate carbine).

I've been leaning towards a Russian side mount like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Sniper-Side-Rai...=item439d9d4c31

and the scope mount itself like this with a Weaver rail: http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/origin...side-mount-to-weaver-rail-w-black-finish.html

Has anyone tried something like this or have a better solution?

Thanks

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Not sure how well it'll work. The scope must be offset to the left and raised to clear the type of bolt handle Mitchell uses. That handle needs a lot more clearance than the typical low-scope bolt handle you find on sporters and sporter convertions, and the standard Mauser safety needs the clearance too. The high, left mount is not comfortable in my opinion and will require a cheek piece to work even semi-well.

I'd think the type of rifle this is would work a lot better with a scout mount.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Some years back IO made up some Mausers and others with this type of mount.

Our club tried them out.

This is our take on them.

They are HEAVY, make the rilfe VERY unbalanced.

They are NOT user friendly. Could not get a good position to use the scope.

The M63s are really nice shooters and this type of mount would be the worst option I could think of. IMO

The M63s are light and handy, a mount like this will make it bulky and heavy and grossly unbalanced.

We got rid of the ones IO made. About the worst scoping option I have ever seen for mausersl.

You will have to cut the inletting in the stock and drill and tap large holes in the side of the receiver.

Just a set of Leupold two piece made for Mauser mounts are a much better option IMO. Puts the scope where it needs to be and balance is good.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eye relief concerns me a bit too. Here are the specs:

Magnification 3.0
Objective Size 30.0
Bullet Drop Compensator Yes
Length (in) 6.10
Weight (oz) 11.64 w/mount
Illumination source Fiber Optics & Tritium
Reticle Pattern Chevron