Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotsa great loads for K31 here, but what about the older long rifles? My supply of GP-11 will run out soon, and I will be reloading. Have Hornady 155 A-Max and Sierra 175 MK, along with reformed .284 Win. brass. Also have a good selection of powders. My rifle's bore slugs at .3074.

Asking about G96/11 specifically because of the longer barrel, different chamber dimensions, and different throat length relative to the K31. My G96/11 shoots GP-11 more accurately with open sights than my K31 does with a scope, so I'm assuming the two rifles have somewhat different preferences. So what's your favorite long rifle load?

·
Gold Bullet Member
316 Posts
bnx65,
I'm in the same boat. I've got dies, brass etc but still have GP11. My 96/11 is wonderful over the 12+ K31 that I hoard. Maybe, I'll elk hunt with it after the Phoenix Gun Show??????

In the past, I have read some good load so you should get a response soon or I'll dig out my hard copies and retype.

Bill

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Bill. I've just loaded 20 rounds of the Sierra manual's "accuracy load" of 45.8 grains of IMR-4350 and 175 Sierra MK. Sierra used a G1911 as their test rifle. Will see how she likes it. Of course I also loaded a few rounds with less powder to start with, as 45.8 grains is not much below the listed max of 47.6.

Really got spoiled shooting the GP11; don't think I can beat GP11 accuracy with handloads using the issue sights and my old eyes. That looong sight radius sure helps.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Thanks, Bill. I've just loaded 20 rounds of the Sierra manual's "accuracy load" of 45.8 grains of IMR-4350 and 175 Sierra MK. Sierra used a G1911 as their test rifle. Will see how she likes it. Of course I also loaded a few rounds with less powder to start with, as 45.8 grains is not much below the listed max of 47.6.

Really got spoiled shooting the GP11; don't think I can beat GP11 accuracy with handloads using the issue sights and my old eyes. That looong sight radius sure helps.

I have a 96/11 and a K31, but no GP11 here in UK, so unless I want to buy the Privi stuff I have to reload.

I use the JLK 175gr VLD bullet that is the nearest I can find to the long-ogive of the GP11 bullet, but have found that each gun likes a somewhat different OAL.

I have the St Marie Graphics diopter sight on the K31, and it's a real tack-driver - around 3cm at 100 all day long, and the 96/11, with its same powder charge, but different OAL, is a regular 4-4.5cm shooter with its open sights, good enough to stop a charging paper plate at 100m anyhow.

I do not give details of loads that involve propellants, for obvious reasons, but if you look on www.swissrifles.com you will find a wealth of information on reloading these beautiful old arms.

Best wishes and lots of luck!!

tac

PS - I believe that if you measure the two arms side by side, the difference in the inter-sight distances might just surprise you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link; Pierre seems to like the Sierra "accuracy load" with either Berger 175 VLD or Sierra 175 MK. I'm getting 100m groups similar to yours with the GP11, so I'm confident I'll be doing at least as well with the handload.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts