Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my 1907 Swede Carl Gustaf m96 using new S&B 131 gr SP ammo at 100yds she’s shooting 1.5” groups. I wonder how much the groups will tighten up with reloads or with m41 b ammo? No scope. I did install the higher front sight and filed it down till she hit the X ring.

How accurate is your Swede m38 and m94?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Most Swede m96/m38 I shoot are sub-moa capable with load development and a capable shooter. That being said, heat shift will occur. I typically see a downward shift of the POI as the barrel heats.
What kind of tall front sight did you put on, repro or original?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
814 Posts
You mentioned the m41 ammo, and honestly I've found ppu match (119gr?) to be more accurate. I haven't scientifically tested it but while the m41 throws about a 1.5-2", 5 shot spread with the PPU's I was seeing very tight groups with 1-2 fliers to open it up to 1.5" or less. The picture below is the first 2 rounds I put out of my first Swede at 100 yards off a bag (I chickened out after 2 and had to take that target down to save). The ppu also shoots very much point of aim with the m38 sight set up. I need to start experimenting with some reloads though. This is with an 1899 oberndorf m96/38 with a 0 barrel that looks like new.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,218 Posts
I have an elm stocked 1915 m/96 with a #3 bore that shoots m.o.a when I'm doing my part. I have a 1908 FSR m/96 with an immaculate bore that will do 1/2 m o.a. Again I have to do my part. The load for each is 44.0 grains of IMR 7828 on a 140 grain MK. My m41/B is somewhere in between. It likes Nosler 140 gr. BTHP. and 44.0 grains of 7828.
My 1901 m94/14 has never done better than 4.0 m.o a. but I shoot it very little.

At 66 it's a good thing I've owned them for a while, pretty soon I'm going to need a seeing eye dog to aim them.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
This is a m/41b w/ good handloads at 100yds. The only thing keeping me from doing the same with most any of my m/96 rifles seems to just be the ability to hold a consistent sight picture with the irons.

Then there is the CG63...
This looks like my results shooting off a Lead Sled. The flyer shown here is older eyes and as all know it sure does
not take much on shooters part to put one out of a tight shot group. I think this target indicates a great hand load tuned to a rifle in outstanding condition and a serious shooter. If your rifle is in top condition and your ammo likewise, your shot groups will be similar to this if you do your part. Definitely this shot group proves the rifles potential for accuracy
exceeds the owner ....speaking for myself, I am pleased when a rifle is better than me, its a joy to have such rifles.

I'd bet a beer this rifles owner can easily put 5 rds inside 2 inches at 300 yds.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I develop loads with a scope on the rifle. Once I find a reliable sub-MOA load (or loads), I stop and remove the scope and shoot the same load with iron sites. 4-5 years ago, I would shoot MOA at 100 yards with these loads so I know the difference is all shooter. Today, with those loads I get 1.5-2.0 MOA due to failing eyesight. Not liking this, I now only shoot with scopes and diopters/peep sights.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
accuracy, I learned a long time ago that it isn't given,. it has to be worked for.When I started shooting it was 1967 and just out of the navy and had a decent set of eyes. We didn't have specialized rifles, special barrel makers, heck half the bullets and powders you have to day we didn't have back then. First you had a cartridge called the 222 or tripple duce. Cartridge case smaller than the 223 And with the right powders mostly IMR 4198 19.0grs would send a 55 maych grade bullet at a blistering 3000fps. That little cartridge won most if not all major bench rest matches all over the country. Then cane vietnam. 308 winchester became the 7.62x51 nato round in about 51-52. Soon it was making the rounds as a extremely accurate benchrest cartridge. The 30-06 well it made its beans fighting WWI,WWII Vietnam as well as on the3 nations shooying ranges out to 1000 yds. Then came a new breed of benchrest shooters. New powders,new bullets.New barrel makers what have you.many reforming the Russian 5.45 russian assau;t gun cartridge... You know its said after every war shooting tecnology advances each war.Today we have pver 100 different powders which can be sometimes hard to get. We have 223/5.56mm rifles that can launch a 69 grain match bullet at 1000 yds. As for me I stay with mu 30-06,30-30, 30-40 Krag,44 special and the venerable 45/70. Frank

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
This looks like my results shooting off a Lead Sled. The flyer shown here is older eyes and as all know it sure does
not take much on shooters part to put one out of a tight shot group. I think this target indicates a great hand load tuned to a rifle in outstanding condition and a serious shooter. If your rifle is in top condition and your ammo likewise, your shot groups will be similar to this if you do your part. Definitely this shot group proves the rifles potential for accuracy
exceeds the owner ....speaking for myself, I am pleased when a rifle is better than me, its a joy to have such rifles.

I'd bet a beer this rifles owner can easily put 5 rds inside 2 inches at 300 yds.
Agreed in 100%. I love when rifle kicks my ass and I know I have reached my limit as a shooter with it.

On the main subject, key ingredient for the accuracy is consistency. I'm loosing my head sometimes watching some of those hi speed people on the net doing some serious mental gymnastics to justify some shooting techniques, dissecting every 1/1000th degree of the "correct" angle for trigger pull and etc. Don't get me wrong, it's good to bring attention to some aspects of shooting and try to make them better, but in reality, I don't care if you pull the trigger on your rifle with your tongue and your left hand tight behind your back, as long as you going to do it every time exactly the same way - in other words: STAY CONSISTENT to watch you doing.
Human usually is the weakest link on the gun. You are going to induce mechanical errors - but as long as you are consistent with the way how you are using that rifle, you can compensate for it and you are going to have great results.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,491 Posts
I develop loads with a scope on the rifle. Once I find a reliable sub-MOA load (or loads), I stop and remove the scope and shoot the same load with iron sites. 4-5 years ago, I would shoot MOA at 100 yards with these loads so I know the difference is all shooter. Today, with those loads I get 1.5-2.0 MOA due to failing eyesight. Not liking this, I now only shoot with scopes and diopters/peep sights.
Ditto here. I have BadAce NDT scope mounts on my 1918 CG M96 and 42 HVA M38. These remove a big sighting variable and make load development more precise, since the groups are more reliable with an optical sight. But I still shoot irons too: My other "SA" marked M96 has a JF target sight (with windage adjustment) and my other HVA M38 has the original Husqvarna square notched - Patridge style - rear sight. Since this sight was calibrated for the original M94 round, I reload clone M94 ammo for it too.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yesterday we just set up a shanty and shot outside for a few hours in 10 degrees. I wanted to test out the accuracy of some 156 grain bullets but I first did a 4-shot "control group" with a known accurate load. Those 4 shots with my iron-sighted 1922 CG did the group below. (The ammo is a 140gr handload that is a clone of m41 sniper ammo.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.