Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice pair of CZ 52 pistols. I posted about this a while back on the old forum, finally got a chance to try some good ammo out.
Both of these guns are in excellent condition. One shoots good, the other is horrible. I cannot see any problems with the bore, crown, or chamber in any way. I had been shooting it with Bulgarian surplus ammo, finally got some S&B but, alas, no improvement in accuracy. We're talking about a five or six inch group at ten yards, where the other identical pistol shoots a nice tight group.

I don't see any obvious problems or damage with any part anywhere on it. Obviously this level of accuracy is not acceptable. Does anyone have any ideas where to start? I'm thinking about ordering some new rollers and springs, but don't want to just throw money at it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ordering new rollers and springs would not be a bad investment even if it didn't help out with the accuracy, you will need them eventually anyways, even if it is just for the one that DOES shoot well. First thing I would do is slug the bore and see if it is waaaay oversized or not. Check the fit of all the components between the two if the bore does not reveal a problem, like the slide to frame fit, and the barrel assembly to slide fit. Hopefully you will find the issue somewhere within those three areas.

·
Registered
658 Posts
is there a chance that one has a 9mm barrel in it?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
YOW!!!

Shooting a 7.62mm down a 9mm tube probably would not do a lot for accuracy, would it?

Just don't try it the other way around - and yes, a 9mm para WILL chamber in a .30 TOK barrel, but it might not be pretty when you touch it off!

I asked the members who could slug their barrels to do so and submit findings back on the old board. Several did.
We found groove dia. running from .308" to in one case .317" (darned near 8mm JS!) and everywhere in between.
That could be a factor to be sure.

"Consistancy" is not something that the Czech-O-Matic is particularly known for, it seems.

I also have one COM that shoots well and another that "scatters" more than "groups".
Any number of factors or combinations thereof could be to blame.

One thing to check, as alluded to above, is the barrel to slide port fit.
These pistols do not use bushings as the M-1911 and Tokarevs do, so as the front port wears the fit gets sloppy, and accuracy goes right to Leningrad.

I suppose that you could peen around the port a little, but that's not a job for amatures.
Get it too tight and you won't be able to re-install the barrel all that well and cycling may suffer from the increased friction, especially as the barrel heats and expands.

I invented a bronze spring loaded lock-washer bearing to fit between the front end of the coil spring and the front end of the slide around the barrel to snug it up a bit and act as a bushing, but I never really tested it once I got a CZ-52 that shot like an ace without adulteration.

Some day I might have to revisit that project; I have the prototype around here someplace.

The CZ-52 has terrific potential for accuracy, although not that many of them live up to it as we get them.
Of course the same could be said of rack grade surplus M-1911-A1s, come to think of it.

I'd like to see what a really proficient pistolsmith could do with one were he to really put his mind to it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a factory 9mm CZ52 from the late 80's. It has a polish blue slide on a parked frame. From 25 feet I literally cannot hit the target unless I aim over it so that it is completely obscured by the barrel! I'd call it a hunk of crap but that would be insulting to hunks of crap.

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
Why not just swap out the barrels and see if that makes a difference. If the one that shoots great doesn't with the other barrel than you know where the problem lies.

regards....roger

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a similar issue, Both group fine however one shoots very very very low compared to point of aim. I was thinking of replacing the barrel. I have several new barrels but was wondering if there was another solution.

·
Registered
258 Posts
fairlane= It is still possible that shooting low to point of aim is trigger related or possibly upper slide machining related. I recommend switching barrels but not springs between the two guns as a way of narrowing the possibilities.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
9mms Shooting Low

I got one of the Federal 9mm barrels and observed the same thing.

...............................(Note section of Mountain Bike inner tube rolled up over grip)

Since the 9mm is less intense a round, it recoils less, thus less "lift" to the barrel before the bullet leaves the muzzle. The issue sights are set to compensate for the sharper recoil of the 7.62X25, not the 9mm - unless the pistol was made to be a 9, in which case I would expect the sights to be set accordingly.

I wish someone would make an aftermarket higher rear sight to compensate for the 9mm barrels, but I don't know of anyone who does.
If I had access to an investment casting setup, I would certainly try!

The Czech-O-Matic (I can't claim coinage of that nickname, BTW; another Gunboarder did about 5 years ago and I immediately loved it, stole it, and have been running with it ever since!) likes to be gripped in it's own peculiar way.

You probably know about the regulation military M-1911 grip; middle finger wedged between the trigger guard and ring finger - very light if any pressure on the pinkie, and hold the thumb OFF of the side of the pistol. Trigger just inside of the first joint of the trigger finger.

Using this familiar grip on the CZ-52, I found most of my groups going low left, as seems to be fairly common from what we read in here.

Now I lay my thumb lightly along the left side of the frame / slide (I can't even feel the slide moving under it), grip about the same as my .45 but all the trigger finger I can cram into the bow.
Up to the second joint on the trigger if I can jam it in that far.
Then I visualize a straight line from where my finger contacts the trigger to my shoulder joint, and squeeze along that imaginary line rather than back towards a point just under my shooting eye as I do with other pistols.

If you have 7-O'Clockitis like a lot of Czechophiles do, try it, and see what happens.

As I've posted numerous times, the Czech Armorers should have developed a "CZ-52A1".

Pity they didn't.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Uncle Jaque, thanks for the gripping technique advice. I'll have to try it. My groups have been "low and left" for so long, even with aftermarket firing pins and wrap-around grips, I just got used to holding the pistols' POA way up and right to compensate. Effective, but annoying.

Anyone have a close-up picture handy of what a "good" 52's barrel is supposed to look like, with strong rifling ? Both of my barrels are nice and shiny, I keep 'em clean, but you can't see the lands and grooves so well.

TIA

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Match Potential?

I've long felt that the roller lock straight back recoil design of the COM might lend itself to superior accuracy in a properly tuned specimen.

In the club I belonged to before moving we had a National - grade Champion pistol shooter, and I long wanted to get him to try my CZ-52 to see what he could do with it.

We never connected at the range, but now I met a former Navy SEAL who we shoot with informally from time to time - I've seen this guy pump 5 rounds of .45 out of his carry pistol into an inch cluster in the X ring at 50 yards from a standing position, and has been known to do nearly as well double-tapping from 100 yards!

The last time I had my Czech O Matic and him at the range together he had a bad back... better luck next summer!

Given a good professional tuning, precision ammo and decent sights, I have no doubt that the CZ-52 could hold it's own at a 2400 National Match.

I'm just waiting for someone who is a better shot than I am (and who can afford the custom work) to prove it!

And why they didn't make it double action I don't know - that trigger guard sure looks as if it was intended for a DA pull.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Pin-pricks on slide.

Didn't we discuss (on the old board) what the pin-pricks on the slide mean?

Someone (it may have been Uncle Jaque) came up with the idea that it meant the difference between POA and where the bullet actually hits the target, marked at every "ten minutes", clockwise from straight-up, or 12:00 o'clock.

I.e., one punch meant POA and bullet-strike was dead on.

In our case, C 05112, X53, it has two pin-punches on the top of the slide.

Therefore, it hits at 2:00, or slightly right and a bit low when POA is 12:00 o'clock.

Anyone remember this discussion? What was the upshot? I had to take a break from the boards about that time and missed the final conclusion of the discussion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'd also be interested in knowing what those punchmarks mean. My gun has only one, and it's very accurate.
I've heard those things are to test metal hardness or something. Did the Czechs ever say anything about this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The punch marks on the top of the slide are from hardness testing. If you've got more than one, that just means the metal had to be tested more than once (so quite probably hardened more than once as well I suspect) to get the correct hardness out of the material. This may also explain some of the "iffy" hardening of some parts found in the old 52's as well. If you dig a little deeper, you will find those exact same punch marks on MANY of the parts in the pistol, generally not as many as there are in the slide, but they are there nonetheless.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just bought a new factory 9mm barrel cam and hardened rollers. Went to the range to try it out. I was pretty up set i was lucky to hit the target from 10 yd. After 50 rounds some thing happened i started getting good groups at 10 and 15yd. I ran out of ammo before i tried 25yd. next week i will give it a try. I don't know what happened i guess the barrel needed a little break in.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts