Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody

I can feel in my bones that the feared & dreaded Mosinitis is coming. I've been playing with my AKs and Mausers for about a year and for the time, my Mosins have been sitting in the safe most of the time.

I've been thinking to take my m28 to range in the next week. It's 21xxx series, third batch rifle with Tikkakoski made barrel without D mark. I slugged the barrel, which is clearly used a lot but in good shape. It seems to be pretty tight as I expected. It slugged to diameters .299/.3085

I have some trouble for selecting the ammo and I might some help from you guys. The safest select is Sako Range series ammunition with 123gr .308 bullets. Sako is good but rather expensive choice.

What do you think about the .310-.311 diameter 148gr Czech silver tip or 185gr Barnaul / Brown bear x54R ammunition? Safe or wise to shoot with tight bored m28? There seems to be many different opinnions about the subject.

Anybody have any experiences?

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Id go with the SAKO Wee. The other seems a bit tight but if its lead core you could shoot it.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Yeah, .002 over and having a steel core will wear on your bore quicker than if you were using the SAKO ammo.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought so.

Thanks for the awnsers everybody. It's pretty hard to find decently priced x54r ammo with .308 diamater bullets here in finland. All the economical, commercial and non-corrosove x54r ammo has .311 bullets. The most economical choice I know so far is the Sako Range 7.62x54r, which costs about 45€ for fifty rounds... Get's pretty damn expensive.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,550 Posts
As a former high power shooter who used all top quality bullets for years I agree. On the other hand I will be the handsome devils advocate here. I shot a mid sn# range Sig M28 with the Polish light ball and found no problems at all except the lacquered cases like to stick in every rifle I have. I do not think a hundred rounds would hurt anything. I do not blieve the steel core to be touching the barrel. It is the steel jacketing material versus copper that will wear faster. My obvious different opinion is in an older surplus gun with some wear already on it, a little of this ammo won't hurt anything noticable. If you were going to make this your "go to" rifle and planned on shooting it a whole lot I too would go to better quality and probably think about handloading.

Just a note on the Polish ammo. I think the stripper clips are pure junk, I do not like the laquered cases at all. They stick in barrels after they get hot, on same rifles that give me no trouble with other steel cased surplus ammo. BUT, the stuff really got along well at 200 yds in my Sig barreled M28. In rapid fire attempts the bolt would cycle but it was very sticky and made a disaster out of trying to stay in position while having to muscle the bolt every shot after the first 3 rounds. Slow fire off a bench you all may very well love this stuff. Thought it to be accurate enough for anything I could do with iron sights on a MN. Fire for effect everyone. John.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
It's pretty hard to find decently priced x54r ammo with .308 diamater bullets here in finland.
Glad to see you back into these old battle rifles wee. Haven't seen you posting in a while.

Are you able to buy .308 bullets anywhere? If you can, you can always pull the bullets on the surplus ammo and then reseat some .308 bullets. But you'd have to do some powder loading work ups so that you don't make too hot of a round. But that might be cheaper than buying rounds at over $1 USD apiece.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad to see you back into these old battle rifles wee. Haven't seen you posting in a while.
Thanks USMCsean, the pleasure is all mine.

Most of the time lately, I've been playing with my svw45 7.62mm Israeli Mauser, Erfurt 1916 made7.9mm Kar98a, and of course the Polish 1978 made AKMS.

But there will be one re-enactment meeting in the July, which "frontovik Wee" will participate and a long weekend trip to the carelian isthmus to see and study the winter war battlegrounds of Summa and Taipale.

The Mosins will be in my mind and om my hands many times this summer. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wee, if you can get some new production PRVI ammo, it will shoot all right. It has no steel core.
Thanks for sharing Daniel39. I'm afraid that Privi/PPU commercial ammo is quite scare here, but in the other hand, their reloading components are widely available and popular.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts