Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gentlemen.

After a lot of confusing trouble I'm finally logged on here at the new forum! It took a lot of work to get logged in and I needed to change password etc. but now I'm here it almost feels like being "home" among friends and people who share my love for guns. It really feels great!

By the way I'm going back to Greenland next month (for a new education and work), so my visits might become a little more rare for some time. But with me to Greenland I bring with me a wonderfull little HVA .222Rem. that I think is about the best you can have as a sealing tool! I will of cause tell here if I get any luck with the little HVA at sea!

Best regards for all from Umimmak

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey, good to have you back here. What kind of education/work brings you back to Greenland?

Looking forward to pictures and reports from there. Since you're leaving for the dark continent this time of year, I guess it will be flash pictures only. :)

Pettson

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Umimmak, so good to hear from you! Heading back to Greenland! And with a good rifle too. Well, you must post more before you head for the Arctic and let us know what you are up to.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
with me to Greenland I bring with me a wonderfull little HVA .222Rem.
Will that iron give you power enough for self-protection? I was kayaking Scorsebysund two weeks some years back and was trusted a 30-06 if we got into "trouble". Just had to aim once but luckily no fire.
Regards,
ARILAR

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Firearms and ammunition stocks in Greenland?

Glad to see you back on board, dear! Enjoy your return to Greenland; alas, all old stocks of 8x58 RD seem to be depleted there (by yourself, previously?). But maybe you could be as kind as to look whether you can still fnd some 8x54 on the back shelf on a general goods and groceries store, or with a retired hunter?

PS: On a totally different subject, is the Internet connectivity in Greenland as high as in Finland, in the meantime? Do people (esp. younger ones) access the 'Net from home or from Internet cafés resp. youth centres?

Thanks, Carcano

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have a lot of trouble with my old pc, so it takes me quite a lot of time to answer, but here I am!

First; I'm going back to Greenland in order to go through a 9 month education in air traffic control followed by several years of work for greenlandic airport authorities. It's a short education, but well paied and afterwards I can earn a lot more than I've ever done before, so I'm quite happy with it. And compared to what I can get of jobs/education here in Denmark it's a lot more better!

My sparetime up there will go with hunting and shooting and chasing beautifull young eskimo-women. You all might not know, but white men are considered to be the ideal husband there, and it doesn't matter if he is 15 years older than his greenlandic wife! On the contrary it is much more common there than the usual pattern in Europe where husband and wife are about the same age! And eskimo women are in general very pretty with their black hair etc!!!!! So I'm really looking foreward to that part of it (I'm still a bachelor at the age of 38, but hope not to be disliked even if I reach 40!)!

And hunting is completely free all over Greenland. A hunting licence costs about 10 US doll. compared to more than 100 US doll. in Denmark. And you can have all the rifles /shotguns you want there, there is no firearmslicence as long as the gun is not an automatic! That's very different to Denmark and other european countries!

And then there is the game! Lots of birds including ducks and geese and arctic foxes and polar hare. Add to that 5 specimens of seals, caribou, musk ox and several specimens of whales, big and small. For the whales I've bought a Ruger in .416 Rigby and some hand-held harpoons! Can't wait to use them!

I still have a dream of being the first still-living dane to shoot a whale with my Ruger elephant-gun! It will give me endless fame in Denmark!

But otherwise seals are the most common animal to hunt in Greenland. And there are endless numbers of them. In fact, and very much contrary to common belief, they are so numerous that they are considered a pest! They eat a lot of fish and destroy fishing nets! So the more I and others can get shoot the better for Greenland and their vital fishing industry! So you see, Greenland is very much a hunters paradise!

And here comes my HVA .222 in play. I bought it at an auction 2 years ago in Stockholm quite cheap, and along with .223 and .243 it is the tool for sealing. Perhaps a modern Ruger in .223 and stainless steel would have been a better choise, but I like the HVA-brand a lot. It gives us scandinavians a small chance of showing the overwhelming americans that we also can make good guns! (and I think that even all the americans at this forum will agree that HVA made good guns).

So for some time I might not be so often here at the forum, but I will try to show up now and then! And that's a promise!!!!!

And for Carcano: There is no 8 x 54 left. But I would gladly have picked it for you! Some years ago though I discovered some very old Remington subcalibrated ammo for 30-06 and I'm still sad that I didn't buy it. But It must have spent many years oat the shelves !
And very few people at Greenland have their own net-connection. Mostly only the school and public library have. But I plan to get my own connection!

Arilar; No the .222 is not enough for polar bear. A 30-06 is usually considered minimum! But I've heard of a hunter who meet a polar bear and killed it, though he was only armed with a .222 Rem. It took 8 shots!!!

That's all for now!

Best of best from Umimmak

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Very interesting, great fun to read Umimmak! I think there are quite a few Americans on the forum here that think HVA guns are fantastic guns -

I suppose it is far too late, but it would be interesting to see if an investment group could be put together to resurrect the Husqvarna brand. If the Model 1900 production machinery is in Italy, where is the 1600 series production machinery?? Although the 1900 had some great improvements, I don't see anything wrong with the 1600 actions as the basis for a great rifle. Just idle thoughts while I try to motivate myself to get back to work.:D;)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Congratulations and welcome back! I find your posts on what to most Americans is arcane history most interesting. At about the same age my career took me to oversees, leaving Korea with the best woman on Earth. And I enjoyed not being in charge! Maybe you'll meet an Eskimo princess who supports your avocations. Naw, she'll become your avocation.
Keep posting on both the history and the new adventures afield. So politically incorrect here - I envy you. :D
Dennis

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sounds like a viking saga!

Regardless of whether you blood that Ruger on whales, uyou'll be a celebrity here!

Post some pictures if at all possible or mail me some. I'm headed for a new scanner and will scan and post them!

Godt reise Umimmak!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I smell something fishy here (no Greenland pun intended)! I reckon Umimmak is not moving to Greenland by his own free will at all. Rumour has it that he is being ostracised by the princess and the Royal Palace for his affiliation with eskimo women... ;)

Seriously, I think your interesting choice of path in life will turn out well for you. In heart, mind and spirit I'm sure Umimmak has the true qualities of a genuine and classic Scandinavian explorer.
So the best of luck to you my friend.

It's good to see that you have sorted out your firearms before leaving. I would also suggest, unless you have them already, to get yourself a good quality camera and a decent laptop! Firstly, I can hardly imagine a more interesting place to bring a good camera, and secondly we'll be expecting some good picture reports here.

Pettson

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Ah, I always thought (mistakenly, as now appears) that you had some Inuit blood yourself, Umimmak Torulleq.
Well, I wish you good luck in all exploits, including amorous ones (and I had a grin when I found this page: http://www.arnanut.gl/index.php/?p=429&language=gl ). There are so many more nice things in the world than guns, especially two-legged nice things. ;-)
And with the present climate change, Greenland begins to live up to its name...

Best wishes,
Alexander

1 - 11 of 11 Posts