Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range yesterday and fired my friend's RC K98... Anyway, we used all 1950's Yugo surplus. I've read scattered reports here and there of failure-to-fires, ruptured cases, etc. I've also read of people fixing the FTF's by replacing heavier firing pin springs. Even though we didn't fire a huge amount of this ammo, we didn't experience a single hiccup - all rounds fired. And this gun had the old standard K98 firing pin spring. All primers were struck soundly and I inspected most cases afterward and there were no deformations of any kind. We fired about 60 rounds.

If there are many people out there questioning whether or not to buy this stuff - I'd say don't hesitate - especially considering how cheap this stuff is presently. But I will say this... Each round seemed rather hot. Not only did it go bang but it went bang in a big way. We were only shooting at 50 yards but I kept the groups at about 2 inches. I know... I know... I'm not going to win any matches like that but hey - it was fun! It was sort of a nostalgia day... We brought along a Mosin Nagant (which was surprisingly accurate), M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, WWI Colt 1911, and Walther P1. It was the most fun I've had at the range in a long time - even if my shoulder was a little sore!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only issue I had with the batch I got from SGAmmo was that I needed to ice my shoulder that evening. Other than that I had no problems that day. I did have problems with some Ecuadorian that I had stashed around and wanted to try. The ones that did want to go off were hot, the ones that didn't want to go off had dud primers. All of my firing pins are good. I third your recommendation on the 50's Yugo. I just made sure that I checked it as I was loading stripper clips the night before.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yugo surplus is mostly what I shoot. A heavier firing pin spring cured most of the FTF's, however a 2nd strike is necessary occasionally. The stuff dated 1953 seems to be the worst as it has deeply set primers. I have a stockpile of Romanian 8mm that I'm going to just sit on as it seems more reliable and would be more dependable in a SHTF situation. The Yugo seems to have dried up mostly. The last bunch I got was from SGammo.com a few weeks ago. Is there anyone else selling it?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yugo surplus is mostly what I shoot. A heavier firing pin spring cured most of the FTF's, however a 2nd strike is necessary occasionally. The stuff dated 1953 seems to be the worst as it has deeply set primers. I have a stockpile of Romanian 8mm that I'm going to just sit on as it seems more reliable and would be more dependable in a SHTF situation. The Yugo seems to have dried up mostly. The last bunch I got was from SGammo.com a few weeks ago. Is there anyone else selling it?
I believe Classic Arms still has some Yugo... At least the last time I checked, they did.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,080 Posts
The Yugo seems to have dried up mostly. The last bunch I got was from SGammo.com a few weeks ago. Is there anyone else selling it?
SOG still has 900 round sealed spam cans of 1950s Yugo M49 8mm for $180 + shipping (and a 3% credit card fee). Works out to 20 cents per round before shipping, and about 23 cents per round after shipping and CC fees.

I believe Classic Arms still has some Yugo... At least the last time I checked, they did.
They have the Yugo M75 sniper ammo at 50 cents a round before shipping. Good stuff, but over twice as pricey as the M49.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.