Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father passed away January 10 1999 from a brain tumor (glioblastoma)... he was only 67yo. I remember the night when he had his brain surgery in Atlanta, GA. The doctors removed as much of the tumor as they could with out damaging his brain. I stayed with him in his hospital room that night after the surgery, just he and I until the next morning. At some point during the night, he woke up and began reliving his days in combat in the Korean War. He explained how a mortar exploded near him and a fragment cut his ear clean off his head. My father didn’t feel this injury... however he knew he was injured from the vast amount of blood running down the side of his head. He remembered picking up the pieces of his ear on the ground... he didn’t know how bad he was injured. The doctors were able to make an ear out of the pieces left and he surprisingly never lost his hearing.

I received his Purple Heart when he passed... it sits in my gunroom on display. I’ve always wondered if there was any paperwork associated with his injury. Last night (Thanksgiving) my brother and I were talking... apparently, he was going through some of my dads paper work. He actually found the original Western Union telegram addressed to my grandfather about my fathers injury. Something now I will pass down to my other brothers son one day. I thought this was kind of cool and decided to share... attached is also a letter after the telegram.

You can see how the paper was torn from the received message and glued to a piece of paper... we really have come a far ways since the telegram!

Attachments

· Platinum Bullet Member
1,981 Posts
As his Son you are Entitled to copies of his military service records. Write to records center.He is entitled to several Korean War service ribbons along with a Purple Heart ribbon and medals. A simple service awards triangle framed box makes an excellent display for now and future family. His records will indicate what unit he was in and a SSI ( shoulder patch) can be found and included in the display.
This is mine.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts