Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found this locally. It has no extra markings other than the few proof stamps and a few arrows. Has been cut for 45acp and has England stamped on the barrel. Frame, barrel and cylinder have matching numbers. Is it unusual to find an unmarked gun like this? Its in good condition for a 107 year old gun. I have no history (“story”) for it other than it ended up in a pawn shop. The grips are repro’s. When I got it it had a MkV grip on one side and a Mk1 grip on the other.

Reactions: Baltimoreed

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nice revolver. Don’t shoot full power .45acps in it, they’re too hot. I have a otherwise nice Webley Government that someone removed the W-G stamping from the left side of the topstrap but otherwise the rest of it’s finish is original. Why? I guess that it was removed by a po to hide [at least in his mind] the military id? The ‘US Property’ stampings have been removed from questionable 1911 bring backs before. Looks like there’s something faintly there on your revolver to me. Here’s my W-G sans it’s id and my MkIV in the photoshopped closeup. Great old revolvers.

·
Gold Bullet member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like there’s something faintly there on your revolver to me.
I am not sure what you are referring to. On the left side of the barrel on the forcing cone area its stamped ENGLAND

Reactions: etwmsjr

·
Registered
841 Posts
Webley military revolvers have MARK [whatever number it was, I-VI] stamped on the left side of the topstrap along with it being stamped on the left side of the frame under the cylinder in kind of a circle with Webley on top Patents on the bottom and the MARK number in between. I can make out the word Patents in your photo. I think that your revolver is a Mk IV as it has the short bbl, I‘m thinking that MkV‘s had a longer bbl like the MkVI does.

·
Gold Bullet member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes it has MARK “V” on the top strap

Reactions: etwmsjr

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
ENGLAND is most likely the pre GCA 1968 import marking into the US. All that was required back then was the country of origin.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Webley military revolvers have MARK [whatever number it was, I-VI] stamped on the left side of the topstrap along with it being stamped on the left side of the frame under the cylinder in kind of a circle with Webley on top Patents on the bottom and the MARK number in between. I can make out the word Patents in your photo. I think that your revolver is a Mk IV as it has the short bbl, I‘m thinking that MkV‘s had a longer bbl like the MkVI does.
No, my Mk V has the short barrel like all the rest of the service marks, and 4" was the standard length. My understanding is that longer barrels were available on the Mk V only by special order. They definitely exist, though.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks for the bbl info. Ive seen photos of them with the longer bbls. I'm having an extra MkVI bbl cut down to 3 inch now and the sight redone. Can’t wait to see what my smith comes up with. Hopefully something like this.

·
Registered
852 Posts
When the Vs were introduced in 1914 they were in the standard military 4" model. Webley also manufactured a civilian/commercial model w/a 6" barrel.(as they did for the Mk IIs, IIIs, and IVs)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
841 Posts
Very nice trio. But not to worry et, I’ll still have the original bbls that were originally on all of my Webley revolvers. I would never chop up an intact Webley. The bbl that is getting snubbed is an odd bbl that I bought years ago from Apex [I think] to build something like your long bbl civilian models on my MkIV. But the recent idea of snubbing it appealed more to me after seeing someone else’s build. Please don’t send an angry British mob to my house with their pointy pitchforks and flaming torches. Would this picture sooth your wrath? [not mine but wow!] The ultimate cased Fosbery.

·
Silver Bullet Member
295 Posts
When the Vs were introduced in 1914 they were in the standard military 4" model. Webley also manufactured a civilian/commercial model w/a 6" barrel.(as they did for the Mk IIs, IIIs, and IVs)
Nice Webley set, etwmsjr, and good score, ActionYobbo. I prefer the look of the birdshead grips on the Mk V to the later Mk VI.

To the point quoted above, Webley did produce a relatively small number of the Mk V military model in 6", and I consider myself fortunate to have one of them.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Nice Webley set, etwmsjr, and good score, ActionYobbo. I prefer the look of the birdshead grips on the Mk V to the later Mk VI.

To the point quoted above, Webley did produce a relatively small number of the Mk V military model in 6", and I consider myself fortunate to have one of them.

View attachment 3823233
A dandy indeed!!
What is the SN range on this example?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Very nice trio. But not to worry et, I’ll still have the original bbls that were originally on all of my Webley revolvers. I would never chop up an intact Webley. The bbl that is getting snubbed is an odd bbl that I bought years ago from Apex [I think] to build something like your long bbl civilian models on my MkIV. But the recent idea of snubbing it appealed more to me after seeing someone else’s build. Please don’t send an angry British mob to my house with their pointy pitchforks and flaming torches. Would this picture sooth your wrath? [not mine but wow!] The ultimate cased Fosbery. View attachment 3823129
There was a similar cased example up for sale, maybe a decade ago, in nickel on GB. It was also quite an eye popper!!

·
Gold Bullet member
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there any way to find where these were issued by the serial number?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts