Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest find is a replacement for my CR prefix partial King Carol crest short rifle that was not rebuilt. I almost didn’t buy the new VZ24 because it was rebuilt but I just couldn’t resist the fine crest it has.

Made in 1940 by Zbrojovka Brno in Czechoslovakia, King Carol crest, this rifle was used by the Romanian Army. It was rebuilt in Romania after World War II. Most of the crests were scrubbed after World War II but this one survived with only minor damage. It is the most complete King Carol crest I have seen outside of photos. The receiver serial number matches the new stock and the electro penciled bolt. The rebuild deleted the front sight guard and substituted a stacking rod for the cleaning rod. The stacking rod has a round hole instead of a slot and it has no female threads on the front end. Imported by RGuns without a billboard on the receiver.

I would put a new appearing rebuilt bayonet with it except that this one is special. The bayonet is marked with a BR prefix and the scabbard with a CR prefix. Both also have CM markings and Slovakian Army 1940 acceptance markings showing they first were made for Slovakia and later were taken for the Romanian contract. They also date BR and CR prefix rifles to 1940. The frog is post war Romanian and the sling is the correct VZ24 type but a repro. Rifle purchased at a gun show, bayonet on Ebay.

Photo sequence jumbled by Gunboards program.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,694 Posts
Congratulations for bagging a rare crested Romanian! I'd like your opinion on a Romanian I have. It's a Y series, and I've read that the late series rifles like it never had a crest. It shows absolutely no mark that anything was there, or brushed off.

·
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that some of the last of the contract were King Michael crested. I have TR13xxx and I know of TR15xxx and SR11xxx that have King Michael crests.

I have heard that some toward the end of the contract had no crests but I have no evidence of that. A crest can be removed and look as if there never was a crest. Still, ZB was known to throw odd receivers into the contract like the year dated ones, so anything is possible.

If you took micrometer measurements of your receiver ring that showed more metal top to bottom than side to side, that would be pretty good evidence that no crest was ground off.

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Thats a great King Carol..Best I've seen for sale on the broker etc. were way more scrubbed with just some wreath left on either side

Geladen, do you know who did these refurbs?..I would certainly get one as they just look sharp..Just dont remember hearing a deff. answer as to who did the refurbing, just assumed East block..Soviet or more likely Ukraine???

·
Gold Bullet Member
146 Posts
I had just posted a thread a couple days ago asking if anyone had one of these! I see the scrubbed ones all the time. I have only been collecting for a couple years, but this is the first i have seen (not scrubbed) actually owned by someone besides in a book! Congratulations! If i was in the same room with this, I could not pass it up either!

well done!

·
Platinum+ Bullet Member
2,298 Posts
A Slovak Republic Crest and a really nice KC Crest. Nice combo, nice catch.

·
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed's example is not scrubbed at all. Mine is scrubbed enough to remove the back-to-back "C"s in the circle. I also have a very lightly scrubbed King Michael crest (Mausers, Only Mausers post #255). I think that both my rebuilt VZ24 rifles, the Carol and the Michael, were rebuilt in Romania.

Neither one looks like an RC rebuilt rifle. The blue is much better and the stocks have no shellac. The number stamped on my new Carol stock is stamped in the ZB vertical manner, not the RC horizontal manner. I never saw a new stock on an RC, nor have I ever seen a stacking rod (or cleaning rod even) on an RC.

The used stock on my Michael is force matched stamped with a vertical number over the original number and the bolt is force matched stamped on a CM marked bolt that never had any other number on it. You can tell it is not a ZB stamped number on both the stock and the bolt.

My Carol was imported by RGuns and my Michael by Century.

Regards,
Bill

·
Registered
999 Posts
They were most likely rebuilt post war in Romania. Most have brand new Cugir marked replacement stocks. Bought one out of the first batch AIM sold in 2005 .

·
Registered
570 Posts
A Romanian KC crest recently turned up in Canada.

·
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
570 Posts
King Carol crest, Romanian Vz. 24

kingcarolcrest.jpg Romanian Vz. 24 adjusted.jpg

Here's a close up of the crest and an overall pic from the seller.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes, I wish I had bought it. It was advertised as a vz.24 mauser. It seems everyone but the buyer assumed it was a Czech vz.24. I was trying to buy a Polish wz.29, a Hungarian M43 and a German G33/40 - missed out on all three (turned out the wz.29 was a SCW). Did get a vz.24 pistol though.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Wow! That's one nice rifle! Per Ball's book, the crested versions were originally the most common of the Romanian contracts, while only a few thousand were year dated on the receiver. Seems like today very few crested versions are seen since most were scrubbed post war. I've seen a few of the year dated ones for sale but never a crested one other than photos.
Nice find!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Very nice find, (Yours too, Ed.) though, I would not be so thrilled about the serial number. Still and all, I wouldn't let it stop me from scarfing up such a find either!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just out of curiosity... what would be a fair price for the untouched KC crest vz.24? I know its hard to tell the overall condition from the pics but it was described as 'good', though buyers are reporting that the seller's good was in many cases very good.

·
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As rare as they are untouched, maybe $500. Possibly a bit more if all matched original. Something like that can go insanely high on auction. There was a M1893 Romanian Mannlicher rifle I wanted on Gunbroker recently but it sold for $1,851.

I feel lucky to have found my almost complete crest rebuilt VZ24 for $255 plus $20.71 tax at a gun show. Certainly the Canadian VZ24 is more desirable than mine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not sure if this one was matching (I expect it was) but it sold for $425 + tax and shipping. A reasonable price up here considering it was part of an estate sale and was advertised as a vz.24 mauser. Most dealers are/were selling refurbished Czech vz.24 for that.

No mention of it being Rumanian. I'm sure if folks knew what it really was it would have sold for $100 more.

·
15,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On June 28 I bought an unscrubbed King Carol crest VZ24 rifle from a gun store in NH. UPS "lost" it on on July 10 when it was supposed to be “out for delivery” (by a substitute driver) but was never delivered. On July 20 UPS said “claim issued”, indicating they were going to refund something to the shipper.

The gun store gave me a full refund later.

Watch out for the s/n CR24148; this rifle is stolen.

I will just have to make do with my partially scrubbed crest rifle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts