Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a mosin nagant from an auction, I didn't really think I was getting much at the time.

All the serial numbers match, I can't find any refurb marks and it's in near pristine condition. The stamps are deep through bluing, intact cartouches, very few stamps on the action, thin bluing, it even has the original Russian varnish. It literally looks new, like a time machine was involved.

The weird part is the rifle is from 1937, and from what I know most non-refurbs are from 1944 and 45.

I'm wondering if anybody has any insight on what I have here.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You have what appears to be an untouched, original rifle in 'as it left the factory in 1937' condition. Rifle is maybe a little early for a CCCP stock, so buttplate SN pics would be appreciated. Rifle was either imported from Spain or taken from a German depot in 1945. Very, very rare to find them in this condition, but they are out there.

tn_Rifle Right.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently purchased a mosin nagant from an auction, I didn't really think I was getting much at the time.

All the serial numbers match, I can't find any refurb marks and it's in near pristine condition. The stamps are deep through bluing, intact cartouches, very few stamps on the action, thin bluing, it even has the original Russian varnish. It literally looks new, like a time machine was involved.

The weird part is the rifle is from 1937, and from what I know most non-refurbs are from 1944 and 45.

Thank you
And the butt plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
And the butt plate.
That is not the original buttplate. Too bad, but I thought that stock might be replaced. Looking closer at the stock, the finish shows a lot of cracking, so may have been worked on too. Original stock finishes.of this period are usually very smooth, but it could have just been stored poorly.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
825 Posts
Another original 37 has the same cccp stock that has been posted here in the last 24 hours. Please explain why it's not original butt plate. It looks double stamped but with same number. Either way sir you have an uncommon year in beautiful shape. Hard to top it. Congrats!

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,786 Posts
Another original 37 has the same cccp stock that has been posted here in the last 24 hours. Please explain why it's not original butt plate. It looks double stamped but with same number. Either way sir you have an uncommon year in beautiful shape. Hard to top it. Congrats!
Definitely not the factory buttplate. Wrong font.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
In 1937, Factory No.180 transitioned from the РСФСР roundel acceptance to the CCCP roundel sometime during middle of the year. The other 1937 recently posted is in the 133000 range and should have the CCCP roundel. This 28000 is a little early for it, though I have never really bothered to trend it.

And as pointed out, the SN font is not correct for a 1937.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Has a diamond stamp on recvr ring. Stock looks refinished re schellaced. Very nice rifle but not untouched original.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Looking closer I see the font difference on some numbers, but others look similar...but yes it's different. Thank you for sharing this.
I thought during refurb there wasn't concern for matching numbers. Is that not true?
Or was it on one like this in such good matching condition, the arsenal put a new stock with matching buttplate?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Looking closer I see the font difference on some numbers, but others look similar...but yes it's different. Thank you for sharing this.
I thought during refurb there wasn't concern for matching numbers. Is that not true?
Or was it on one like this in such good matching condition, the arsenal put a new stock with matching buttplate?
I am not sure this is "refurbished", but honestly it is hard to tell from some of the photos. More pictures, in better lighting, would certainly help. That paint on the buttplate does seem to suggest it, but the stock finish does not look like postwar varnish either. Hard to tell if its reblued also. Floorplate kinda does, barreled receiver not as much.

Edit: Looking again, I think I might see the "Box П" inspection on the right side of the barrel.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
19,118 Posts
Rear sight base is pinned.

Still, a VERY nice gun.

Import marked, too?

Edit. Oops. I see it is in Canada. No import marks, I'm sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
heres mine, posted awhile back for reference. odd that 37s keep showing up.

·
Registered
18,490 Posts
Thats a nice rifle, even got a thumbs up from Relic.

Some of you are sooooooooooooooooo picky, you'd find fault with the immaculate conception !

Nice rifle, don't give a hoot about that butt plate. 1937 all original besides butt plate is
a very nice score.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts