Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across what purports to be a T99 Naval Special with a 4 digit serial no. (1xxx) preceded by a marking on the left side of the receiver. I am expecting to see the character "to". Instead, I see the marking in the attached picture (I have obscured the s/n). Is this a poorly stamped "to", or perhaps two of them, one on top of the other? Or something else? There is also an assembly no. just to the left. I'm also wondering what happened to the black paint on the action. Was that always added? Perhaps it's been stripped off here?

Finally, I am aware that a Naval bolt is different from a standard T99 bolt, but I don't know how it differs. Is anyone able to assist with a side by side photo comparison? I'm aware that Mr Allan has a book on T99 specials, but getting hold of that appears impossible, especially on this side of the pond.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I looked in my copy of Naval special t99s and that does look like a poorly double struck “to”, to indicate Tokyo. Its an inspection stamp of the Tokyo office supervisor, Naval technical department. As far as bolts go there are two basic types, one with a cylindrical handle and the other oval or egg shaped handle. Show us some pictures of the whole rifle please. These are not so common that we are tired of looking at them. My NS t99 has a trainer type bolt on it, another variation.
As far as the black paint goes most have it, some dont.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the initial comments. Here are some additional pictures. I'd be grateful for any input / thoughts on this ... Authentic or basement project?

Sadly, I don't have any other pictures, e.g., of the top of the receiver.

I understand these are relatively rare, so what's the approx. value in the US? I can multiple that by at least 2.5x over here.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
What Jareth said, this does indeed look like a navy arisaka with the lack of the sling swivels but whether the markings were ground/worn or not will impact the value.
This one looks to be in a bit of a rougher condition, with the finish pretty worn like that.
Idk if its just me but the "swivel" band doesn't look like a good fit with the top handguard, I suspect one of those might've been a replacement or something.
Numbers matching or not and also the lack of a cleaning rod would also have an impact on the pricing.
Last time I saw one at a gun show they were asking around $1500USD for it I believe. It was a pretty good example but I didn't check the numbers or internal condition as I was not going to pick it up then and there anyways.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've managed to get a photograph. There's a feint anchor (not too sure which arsenal?) and the Type 99 special KANJI. What do you think?

The number on the circumferential ring looks a little odd. Firstly, it might be over stamping something else. Second, it doesn't match either the 4 digit serial no. on the left side of the receiver, or the 3 digit assembly no. that is also on the left side of the receiver, closer to the muzzle. Has this been re-barelled, or are there multiple sets of numbers associated with these specials?

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies and input. I've also learned that the bolt is matched to the assembly no. which has got to be good.

The safety is interesting - it is marked with three numbers "X1Y" where the assembly no. is "X5Y".

I'm wondering if that is a mistake in the stamping or in the assembly, rather than a part from another rifle ... Did such things happen? If so, the rifle seems to have been put together in a bit of a hurry, what with the double stamp "to" as well ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.