Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A search of this website showed an older thread regarding cut-away and skeletonized actions. Many new members have joined since then and might be interested in the subject. I have one cut-away rifle, an Ishapore No.1 MkIII that came with an aiming rest and holds a prominent place in my collection. The professional looking pictures were done by the auction house.
Trigger Gas Gun accessory Auto part Pipe
Wood Tool Shotgun Musical instrument accessory Metal
Automotive lighting Musical instrument accessory Bumper Automotive design Wood
Camera accessory Triangle Metal Wood Titanium

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
This is a good visual example of how an Enfield can have correct measured headspace but still blow out the shoulder of the case when fired.
But the round in the chamber has been DPd as well (note hole drilled thru the case)

😀 😀 😀 😀
:devilish::devilish::devilish:
🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️

That really is a very nice example.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Looking at those pictures in post #1 reminds me I really should strip down and 'refresh' my No4 (Tart it up with a bit of polish & paint)

It was one of 100s (maybe 1000s) found when the old (long since abandoned) AJ Parker factory was broken into by "Urban Explorers"

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gas

Air gun Trigger Wood Bicycle part Gun barrel

Composite material Gas Wood Building material Urban area

Black Wood Black-and-white Style Monochrome

Wood Trunk Water Metal Art

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
We should change AdE’s forum name to Alan De Enfield Encyclopedia. Skip the motions. All in favor say “aye”! :LOL:

Full length and easily transferable in the USA. The aiming stand not only makes the full picture, but is worth some coin too! Nice going!

Are there any remaining markings on the buttsocket?
Has it been marked as an SKN?
Do my eyes deceive me, or has it been smooth bored?

·
Registered
Lithgow Lee Enfield No1 MkIII/III*
293 Posts
We should change AdE’s forum name to Alan De Enfield Encyclopedia. Skip the motions. All in favor say “aye”! :LOL:
Seriously, right!!
To the OP: thanks for posting. Yours is a great example. I think the skeleton models are very cool. Despite ADEs schematics, i don’t think I will “try this at home”😀

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've made several out of the ishapore DP rifles with holes bored in them...had a few with forends that were trash. Takes about 2 hours to complete an looks great in the shop. Also welded the bolt shut so no one can possibly load it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Speaking of. Has anyone determined (documented) if the original British skeletonized actions are good to go or considered SBRs in US?

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Speaking of. Has anyone determined (documented) if the original British skeletonized actions are good to go or considered SBRs in US?
SBR unless it’s an early Long Lee dated prior to 1-1-1899. Then it’s an antique.
Otherwise, with a 16” barrel or longer it can be transferred as a regular firearm.

ATF considers them as firearms since they can (or can be made to) fire a cartridge. Even if only once and you might never be able to do it again.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
SBR unless it’s an early Long Lee dated prior to 1-1-1889. Then it’s an antique.
Otherwise, with a 16” barrel or longer it can be transferred as a regular firearm.

ATF considers them as firearms since they can (or can be made to) fire a cartridge. Even if only once and you might never be able to do it again.
I thought so. There was a milsurps.com thread where someone claimed to have had them inspected and approved as ok, but it seems to have been a one-of, and not a blanket for all SKN actions.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,865 Posts
Here's a Canadian No.4 Mk 1 cutaway that was purportedly manufactured at Long Branch for instructional use or possibly as a "test" of an arsenal gunsmith's ability.

All of the parts are fully finished, in unused condition, without serial numbers, which supports the idea that this piece was made at the arsenal, where such parts and pieces were available, not in someone's basement.

Sorry for the poor quality late '90s digital image.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Here's a Canadian No.4 Mk 1 cutaway that was purportedly manufactured at Long Branch for instructional use or possibly as a "test" of an arsenal gunsmith's ability.

All of the parts are fully finished, in unused condition, without serial numbers, which supports the idea that this piece was made at the arsenal, where such parts and pieces were available, not in someone's basement.

Sorry for the poor quality late '90s digital image.
Hmmm…can’t enlarge it without getting hijacked. WTH???

Has the bolt assy. been skeletonized?

·
Registered
20,657 Posts
Very nice example illustrated and a good blue print of what I'd like to have done to a DP rifle should I find one in decent enough condition to make a nice skeleton rifle.

I suspect some one will take issue with my idea of destroying the "history" and "ambiance " of a DP Rifle in order to make a skeleton rifle.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Very nice example illustrated and a good blue print of what I'd like to have done to a DP rifle should I find one in decent enough condition to make a nice skeleton rifle.

I suspect some one will take issue with my idea of destroying the "history" and "ambiance " of a DP Rifle in order to make a skeleton rifle.
Those Durban Police rifles are very valuable I'll have you know ! Don't you dare cut it up !!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts