Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical martini. I don't have much experience in gunsmithing but I like to imagine odd conversions of rifles. I can always accompany this with some poorly made drawings. Even though they aren't relevant or practical.

So my theory would be to some how modify a martini to auto eject a round once fired. The first issue would be rounds going through your eye socket. So you'd have to create an deflector that wouldn't interfere with your sights. You could make some sort of peep sight to see through to the proper tangent sights. Which will act as your deflector. Next. Id assume you would have to create a gas tap. Making the hole large enough to prevent fouling from blocking it. And some sort of over pressure thing letting excess gas escape. (forgot proper name) so that its not over gassed. The tap would have to be on the lower left or right side of the barrel which would then interact with the falling block tumbler with a small rod (short recoil?) that pushes the tumbler. Another method could be done with a small carving on the side of the receiver that doesn't require material being removed from the falling block. a slot could be cut into the side of the receiver and the operating rod could be attached through the slot.

The next part, possibly adding a tube magazine of sorts on the left or right side of the barrel. To get it to interact with the action. I would some how have to modify the the lever to maybe hinge part way where further extension would not pull on the extractor and other bits. Further extending of the lever releases a round from the tube onto the trough. (Not sure how to connect them to the lever just yet) Another possibility would be to connect a spring mechanism to the tube that relies on the block falling for the round to release. Similar to a pressure plate. But it would extend down The rounds would have to be hand pushed in manually. Unless you could devise something that could push in the round while closing the block with the lever. Some how adding more travel on the lever with out it interacting with the block. Another large concern would be the lever. Obviously the block falling would result in the lever extending. It could be modified to be semi-non reciprocating in some manner beyond my knowledge. Where when firing it won't reciprocate. But will work both opening and closing manually.

This is my fevered dream at a converted martini henry.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
"What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?" -- SNL Feb 23rd 1980 "What if?" hosted by Joan Face

·
Administrator
4,137 Posts
I think there is an early machine gun that works on the rotating breech block system so this really isn't to far fetched. Not sure which it is.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The WW1 Madsen machine gun used a rear pivoted swinging block,and despite the complication was widely used in its day.......Even earlier,the Bannerman pump action shotgun used a similar idea.....in fact the Bannerman gun invented the idea of pump action,and he sued Browning and Winchester for patent infringement ...

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
One gun that hasnt been mentioned is the Krag Petersen....a repeating (sort of) Martini with a tube magazine......Its more of a competitor for the side magazine Martinis that had some popularity in the 1870s and 1880s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One gun that hasnt been mentioned is the Krag Petersen....a repeating (sort of) Martini with a tube magazine......Its more of a competitor for the side magazine Martinis that had some popularity in the 1870s and 1880s.
I guess if you milled a hole where a the rounds enter Up top on a krag rifle. You could place a tube along side the rifle in some manner. It could be easy.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,187 Posts
The first thing which came to mind was the Werder "lightning lock" rifle action. This was an extreme modification of the Martini-Henry. It had a forward trigger which would release a martini type breach block and automatically eject the spent round. After inserting a fresh round a lever was pulled which closed the action and cockit it. Very fast acting. I examined a carbine and a pistol with this action.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.