Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I certainly will never qualify as a target shooter but I'm having fun seeing how well these Japanese rifles will shoot.

The other day I took a T-99 30th series, Toyo Kogyo, to the range, one I never shot before.
After a few shots at 30 yards just to see if it would be on target, I shot at the 50 yard line. I fired only 8 rds. The first 6 rds were about a two inch group, the 7th rd hitting low spoiling the group but the 8th stayed within the group. Not bad for my old eyes.

I was shooting my light reloads with only 37 grs of 3031 powder behind a 150 gr pill.

A couple of weeks ago I shot one of my T-38 rifles that I never shot before and 8 shots grouped 2-1/16" at the 50.

Both were fired while sitting at the bench with the forearm just resting on a binocular case.

I know the groups are no where near the moa groups the experts shoot but I'm happy. Ray

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not hijacking, just piggy-backing, rather than start a new thread: took my Toyo Kogyo 31st to the range on Sat., fired for first time and my first time shooting an Arisaka. Let's just say the results weren't as good as Ray's, but they weren't terrible either. Bianchi target at 50 yards (hard to see, but it was all I had!), sandbag rest on the bench.

10 rounds, first 5 were PCI - first 2 of those were high and right, but hit the target. Next 3 managed at least the second ring. Second 5 were Hornady, 2 in the center, 3 in the second ring. Poor grouping overall, and the gun wants to shoot to the right. This is the one with the pitted bore and wear on the lands. Despite that, I'd say the gun is a good shooter, and the shooter is the issue.....;) Let's just say I won't be competing anywhere's in the near future!

·
Silver Bullet member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote: "Bianchi target at 50 yards hard to see, but it was all I had!"

Talk about hard to see. The target I was shooting at was a home made one and the red bull was only 1". Sure looked small 50 yrs especially with my eyes. Ray

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Pretty good shooting with iron sights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gone to Mcmiller with a number of my Arisakas,Carbines seem to shoot best at 50yards with simular results as yours.However dont be afraid to shoot your 99's and 38's at 100yds.I have a 99 that is still full military but post war rechambered to 30.06 and shot 2"to 3" groups at 100yds.My 7.7's do the same usually if not better.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ive got to get out to the range , havent been out in almost a week (went and tested 6.5 ammo a week or so ago), maybe tomorrow, Im pretty much caught up in the gun room,been loading like a machine everyday ,seems like for a month,after working all night..took it easy today only ran 80rds off ,but in 4 differnt loadings(thankfully all 6.5 tho,and the same bullet)..got a bag of 200 rds late last week and another bag of 100 saturday,plus a half dozen boxes of spent brass to redo, need to build some ammo to restock my own cabinets... should find shooting time ,maybe tomorrow,after I get off work in the mornin or tuesday...think I have 4-6 .7.7's I havent shot yet (last few I bought) last one of those I took out was a late 6th with the grooved safety, it shot mighty decent.I know I have a extremely early 2nd series that deserves a day out at the range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts