Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always on the lookout for #4s that were sported and rebuild them. The last 2 gun shows have had lots of them but all the barrels have been cut. Then just last week the gods smiled on me. I met an older fellow that has been a gunsmith for decades. He has boxes full of original condition Enfield barrels that he will change out for me on the sporters. Now I don't have to pass these old girls up. It sure widens the field.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,349 Posts
That's great. If he has a 1941 Long Branch barrel, I'd be interested! I've got a rebuild candidate that's been chopped as well. Barrels were serialed to the rifle, though. So originality is gone forever..... :(

Show off some of your work!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Canada and I'm not to sure that we can ship barrels to the US. I will ask if he has the 41 LB and we can take it from there.
I'm not too worried about the originality once I de-sport a rifle. I try to keep to the as issued as much as possible but any way you look at ti it's better than leaving it sported. That being said, sported milsurps are great for what they are, I just like to reverse the procedure.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So that makes you an 'ANTIBUBBA'?;)
It's my penance for past misdeeds. When I was a gun plumber in the Canadian army, I cut up scores of Brens and Stens for the scrap piles. And yes, it hurt even then. The stens I had no love for but the Brens, now that was a nice weapon.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hello Point, I live in south Surrey, BC and am looking for a gunsmith with the experience and tools for barrel replacement. I too, have a spotered restoration project almost finished, and I have 3 excellent 2 groove barrels to work with. I just need the contact information to have your gunny change over my shortened barrel. That information would be wholeheartedly appreciated! You can PM me if you prefer, thank you!

·
Registered
14,763 Posts
I'm in Canada and I'm not to sure that we can ship barrels to the US. I will ask if he has the 41 LB and we can take it from there.
I'm not too worried about the originality once I de-sport a rifle. I try to keep to the as issued as much as possible but any way you look at ti it's better than leaving it sported. That being said, sported milsurps are great for what they are, I just like to reverse the procedure.
It's not the barrels that are restricted but rather the recievers.

·
Registered
91 Posts
BC1; There is "Bits of Pieces" in Delta. He's in the phonebook. Barry is from South Africe and he rebarreled a rolling block for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
"I'm in Canada and I'm not to sure that we can ship barrels to the US."

I have had a barrel shipped to me just this year from Canada, and I live in the U.S. No problem ! ( a Lee-Enfield barrel as well )​

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As requested The rebuild is with all LB non issued new parts. Only barrel, bolt and receiver are from sporter
#4 mk1* 44 Long Branch From this new lee 001.jpg

To this new lee 007 copy.jpg

·
Registered
829 Posts
Gorgeous transformation!! Also, thanks Carlos16 for that informatoin, I found their website and will contact them as well as the lead Point gave me!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Great thread :) IMO those sporters still look classy (despite the bubba-isation). I think its because the LE has that charming "look", original or chopped!

·
Silver Bullet Member
563 Posts
My very first Enfield was a sportered bsa, sold it because I wanted an original. If I had the gunsmith skills I have now it could have been saved as you did. I just finished up an Arisaka Type 38 Carbine sporter save. I always mark the inside of the stock as sportered so it cant be passed as original if I sell it. Great work thanks for sharing.

·
Copper Bullet Member
5,228 Posts
View attachment 610612

To give Bubba his due, it appears up in Canada, y'all certainly have a better class of Bubba. My restoration job started with a No 4 Faz that Bubba had cut just below the lower barrel band with a hand saw. The remaing forestack still had cosmoline under it when I removed it. He hammered the rear band down around the barrel. Further there were rather crooked saw tooth marks on the barrel. For some reason he had also thrown away the magazine and the foresight guard.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,349 Posts
You are doing a FINE job!

....Ill add a Enfield if you guys want :)

Well that would be grand! Pretty good likeness of Bubba, if I say so myself. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts