Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share this small adventure with the group. Don't post much, but I'm an avid lurker. Saw an email ad from an online shop I like mentioning "many used guns just in!" and they have some interesting stuff from time to time. Clicked to the site and a page that sorted the used guns by caliber, manufacturer, etc. Spotted 7.62x54r - a surprise since they mainly sell US and EU LE trade-ins - which led to a couple rifles with features and an overall appeal that caught my eye.

First rifle's title was simply "Mosin Nagant M91/30 - 7.62X54R - USED". Description was limited to "Mosin Nagant M91/30 manufactured at Tula in 1935. Hex receiver, chambered in 7.62X54R. Good condition. C&R Eligible" for $240. Just that and two pics:

Second Mosin came with this description: "Mosin Nagant M91/30 chambered in 7.62X54r. Round receiver manufactured by Tula. Good to very good condition. Minor surface rust on magazine, receiver, and rear sight." Same price as the first. Again, just two pics:

Obviously both rifles were "underdescribed". Acknowledging he experts on this forum have already forgotten more about M-Ns than I'll ever know, it would appear that the first rifle is a potbellied Finn M91/30 - apparently with a Soviet barrel since its portrayed as "Tula-made" - and the second a refugee 91/30 from the SCW with a blade front site and couple neat button barrel bands. I know nothing more than the brief descriptions and pics tell me, so there's much left to be filled in. Rifles arrive Friday and I'm really looking forward to going over them; not terribly concerned about the outcome, given the reasonable (by today's standards) prices. If they have decent barrels I will be thrilled - anything else will be icing on the cake.

Any observations others can offer will be welcome - let me know if I've missed any clues from the pics. I have a few Finn Mosins, including a nice Tikka M91/30, but do not know squat about SCW rifles. I'll post to this thread again once I know what the heck I've got.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I've never had a huge interest in Finnish Mosin Nagants, but your examples there looks very nice and reasonably priced. I'd be hard pressed to pass that up at a show, ha!

As for the possible Spanish Civil War rifle, I run a website on that very topic. I'd check that out once you get the rifle in your hands. Certainly has the look of a SCW rifle, but there are many markings on my site that I go into detail about that will help confirm it. That's also a good price for the rifle for sure! The barrel bands actually look to be the solid early Dragoon types from the photos I see, which are also desirable. Here's a link to my site. Looking forward to more photos of the possible Spanish rifle!

http://scwmosin.weebly.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already found your site and I'm glad for the opportunity to thank you directly. All (of the little bit) that I know about SCW Mosins has been gleaned from your site over the last couple of days! Maybe I got the barrel bands mixed up - thought the button bands were rounded on the OD (as the two in the pic appear to be) and the solids were flat - but as you note, interesting enough in either case. I'll examine it for the hallmarks you've described and come back with photos.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Thought I'd share this small adventure with the group. Don't post much, but I'm an avid lurker. Saw an email ad from an online shop I like mentioning "many used guns just in!" and they have some interesting stuff from time to time. Clicked to the site and a page that sorted the used guns by caliber, manufacturer, etc. Spotted 7.62x54r - a surprise since they mainly sell US and EU LE trade-ins - which led to a couple rifles with features and an overall appeal that caught my eye.

First rifle's title was simply "Mosin Nagant M91/30 - 7.62X54R - USED". Description was limited to "Mosin Nagant M91/30 manufactured at Tula in 1935. Hex receiver, chambered in 7.62X54R. Good condition. C&R Eligible" for $240. Just that and two pics:

Second Mosin came with this description: "Mosin Nagant M91/30 chambered in 7.62X54r. Round receiver manufactured by Tula. Good to very good condition. Minor surface rust on magazine, receiver, and rear sight." Same price as the first. Again, just two pics:

Obviously both rifles were "underdescribed". Acknowledging he experts on this forum have already forgotten more about M-Ns than I'll ever know, it would appear that the first rifle is a potbellied Finn M91/30 - apparently with a Soviet barrel since its portrayed as "Tula-made" - and the second a refugee 91/30 from the SCW with a blade front site and couple neat button barrel bands. I know nothing more than the brief descriptions and pics tell me, so there's much left to be filled in. Rifles arrive Friday and I'm really looking forward to going over them; not terribly concerned about the outcome, given the reasonable (by today's standards) prices. If they have decent barrels I will be thrilled - anything else will be icing on the cake.

Any observations others can offer will be welcome - let me know if I've missed any clues from the pics. I have a few Finn Mosins, including a nice Tikka M91/30, but do not know squat about SCW rifles. I'll post to this thread again once I know what the heck I've got.
LOL, funny but I saw rifle one and said, "Ooh, finn sling hangars" and then "OOOH, potbelly!" I have a Finn capture that was rebuilt in the arsenal. It'll still have all of the Tula markings on it, just the usual [SA] and maybe a depot marking (I think mine has AV1 on the stock). Interesting that they didn't put a stacked front sight on it. $240 looks like a good deal.

I know nothing about SCW MNs, but I see Ithilsdorf has that end under control.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Busy schedule couple with uncertainty over the Photobucket debacle delayed this follow-up. My P-B pics still seem to be showing up because I pay a small monthly fee, but apparently that won't last long since I won't be signing up for the $400/year service.

A bunch of pics of these two rifles follow. The large number is simply meant to appeal to other M-N junkies, I know there’s nothing extraordinary about either rifle, but each one fills a gap in my small M-N "collection" and both turned out to be good values at reasonable prices.

First up, some overview shots of both.

Detail pics follow of the '35 Tula Finn capture, a nicely worn original-condition last-year hex receiver rifle in a Finnish pot-bellied stock (and apparently used little the transplant). CAI import marked from back in the day when that was done discretely. Barrel is not counterbored, its reasonably tight, and after a good cleaning there's a fair bit of reflection off the lands. This Soviet drop-in example compliments a Tikka-stamped 91/30 on the rack already.

Second is a ’37 Tula that appears to have passed through the Spanish Civil War. There is no “made in USSR” or more modern import stamps, but I think all the possible indicators are touched upon in the following pics and the serial number falls amongst confirmed examples. Rifle’s in pretty good semi-original condition (at least original to the conflict in Spain, note the original matching floorplate) with a bore that’s as tight as the best of my M-Ns. Wasn’t cleaned religiously, but it definitely wasn’t shot much. Like the Finn capture, a few minutes of cleaning brought out a nice amount of reflection on the lands, not a sewer pipe by any means.

I slipped the solid barrel bands forward of their retaining springs and both have the grime of the ages underneath; this configuration was put together a long time ago. Bolt head still had jellied brown cosmo around the cup, but I don’t know if that’s the type used by the Spanish armories. I’m very fond of the wood overall and especially the grain and copper-riveted brass end caps on the UHG. Perhaps someone can identify the partial stamp on the stock just forward of the rear escutcheon (12th picture in this series).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the positive comments. I love reading stories about pawnshop and yard sale finds, but I don't do the pawn shop circuits. Too much distance from town to town in the sparsely-settled desert. Plus, its exceptionally rare to see firearms offered at garage/yard sales in Tucson, so I don't have any of those stories to tell, hence it was neat to find a deal with an established online retailer (Top Gun Supply). Wish I'd been quick enough to pick up a beautiful '48 M44 in the same sale that sold before I got to it.

Hoping a couple questions can be answered. Maybe the barrel on the SCW rifle is good because the front sight was incorrectly modified and they couldn't hit anything with it? Probably not a sound theory, but the point of impact is 8-10' above the point of aim at 200yds, so it almost seems like there's a layer missing under the replacement blade sight.

Also, does anyone recognize the partial (but very distinct) stamp on the L side of the stock, just forward of the rear escutcheon? Its burned in, not inked, and isn't worn/faded like the Tula CCCP stamp that's been finished-over.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
That's a nice SCW rifle! Good find. The front sight is actually of an M91 or Dragoon, so it is correct that the accuracy will suffer. It's not uncommon to find M91/30's with that modification from Spain. I've also seen later dated M91/30's with the panshin style blade sight, which actually would work fine since they were made for the early M91/30's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.