Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
I'm not messing around, I wouldn't do that.
I know exactly what they are and I know they are ultra rare, they came out of Japan and were a real mess with dust, dirt & even a big blob of what appeared to be roofing cement on the side of one of them...
Soon enough someone who knows will chime in...
Until then the mystery deepens...
Hint: They are not IJA...
Thanks for all the interest & Happy 4th guys!
-Rick

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is ridiculous!

OK, they are NLF Enlisted Mans Boots, the more commonly seen Officers version are black in color.

The clues are brown Cowhide not Pigskin & where ever the Army boots have one stitched seam, the Navy version will have 2 & where the Army's have 2 rows of stitching the Navy's have 3.

They are extremely rare as they were not made in huge numbers and I believe that postwar they were worn in to extinction.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

-Rick

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This is ridiculous!

OK, they are NLF Enlisted Mans Boots, the more commonly seen Officers version are black in color.
They look fantastic now, congrats! What do the outer soles look like? Hobnails? They look sound enough to wear daily. Makes we wanna break out the Alden Indy boots (if it wasn't so bloomin hot here in SC). :)

·
Banned
1,290 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the 2 pair of black officers boots I own have the same stitching as on this brown pair and are cowhide so clearly they differ for the Army version so if they are not Naval what are they??

Also, what vintage are your example photos ??

-Rick

·
Registered
76 Posts
Being different from the standard army boots is still a long way from being rikusentai/NLF boots. Is there anything stamped on the soles of your boots? We can conclude they're certainly not NLF, but maybe they are at least some kind of army variation. However the lack of eyelets for the laces is very odd.

To set some things straight, there is no such thing as "NLF officer boots". The official rikusentai uniform regulations only listed boots for petty officers and enlisted men, which were described as BLACK leather lace-up boots, so that rules out any brown or other colored boots from being NLF. As for officers, boots were on their own dime, they could wear the standard officer pattern low boots or riding boots (which weren't solely for NLF), or buy/borrow a pair of enlisted NLF boots if they wished.

As for the above two photos, the first is undated but came from a vet who was in Shanghai around 35-37, the second was taken in summer 1933. The first photo immediately below is 1944 in case two clear examples weren't good enough. Note the eyelets and pull tab which are absent from your pair (not to mention the color difference). I've also included some footwear for officers vs their enlisted counterparts.

Outdoor shoe Grass Thigh Human leg People in nature

Footwear Joint Shoe Leg Vertebrate

Footwear Shoe Photograph White Leg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts