Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
What is the correct blade length of the paratrooper bayonet used for the Type 2 paratrooper rifle?
Gives me an opportunity to drag some of my accumulated junque out of the safe.
Pictured is a type 100 bayonet & scabbard with frog. The blade is 7.75 inches long.
For the type 100 SMG (but will fit all the Arisakas). I have never seen wartime photo of one on any Arisaka.
BTW, the measurement (7.75in) above was made with tape and bayonet firmly held in my hands.
Pictures are a continuation of questionable photographic abilities.
Hope this has been helpful.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
After reading the comments to this post. I was not sure the information was completely true. So I got out Raymond Labar's book, "Bayonets of Japan" and this is what I found.

This should answer the question as far as what the Type 1 Test went to. It was not specifically for the Type 100 SMG.
I have Serial # 4316.
kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've never seen documentation for any Type 100 specific bayonet. Like the photos Kaydee posted said, it's called a Test Type 1 Knife, or more correctly Test Type 1 Short Knife 試製一式短剣. I don't know about army photos, but there's a photo of a late war airborne SNLF troop with one in my book "Rikusentai". I don't think they were introduced in time to see much use in early airborne operations, but it's believed they were used by army paratroopers in the Philippines in 1944.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.