Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My FFL dealer has a couple of Mosin PU snipers and both appear to be either re-snipered or fakes and one of those is a 1942 Ishevsh (SP) with a SVT PU (real) scope on it, the other a real PU scope, but the mount is really rough and only has two scope mount screws instead of the normal three. Will try to get the dealer to take some pictures for me, but what I find interesting is that the newly drilled scope mount holes in the 1942 have been countersunk a bit on the inside as if maybe to remove weld from plugs? If this was re-snipered I'll pick it up and put a real mount on it, but if a fake for $489 I guess I'll pass on it....Anyone?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Only you can decide if it's worth what he's asking, to you. But, they aren't making them, anymore, and those real scopes are worth getting for "re-snipering". When I have spare bucks, and find stuff like that, I am as tempted as you seem to be. I would not think you were foolish, myself. I want every scope set-up that I can get my hands on.

Oh! And I do not mean to include myself as an expert, just wanted to let you know my opinion. ;)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A question for you PU sniper experts..

Well, compared to me, just about anyone on the Site is an expert. What really intrigues me is the possibility of the 1942 being a real re-snipered PU; I have a 1942 ex-PEM to redo I got from John Zhu and a 1942 PU would be a nice score, but not if it's a fake; I have 2 fakes already (Sold to me as real). The scope itself is a find, but not sure it's worth that much, although a couple went for nearly that on Ebay recently. Have it put away at the shop and it's safe for a short time, but need to find out soon or it'll go back out on the wall.
Thanks for the comments and keep them coming....

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Marcus,
It's a C.A.I. rifle and you're probably correct that is freshly made up, but I'll check the area you described. I'd like to have the scope, but not without the correct mount for that much money. Thank you all for your input...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Locating pins and their function

Can someone please explain to me what the exact function of the locating pins is and how they are held in place?

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Locating pins on the mount? The hold the mount in place for the holes and screws to be drilled and tapped. They also act as a extra bit of recoil insurance that does not alow the mount move laterally and strip out the screws.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After checking as Marcus suggested, I'm sure it's just a "made up" sniper.
Wasted a nice 1942 rifle with an aluminum scope mount and base. Nice scope on it though...:(

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for the explanation Vic, and please excuse my ignorance but aren't the wholes for the pins exactly the same size and the pins slide in and out with ease? If this is the case how are they held in place?

·
Registered
66 Posts
DaWoof,
Would you mind emailing me the dealer name and address? I am looking for an SVT scope for one of my 91/30s.

Regards,
Meinander

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a queston for you PU sniper experts

Meinander, send me a PM and I'll give you the info. you asked for. I'm not sure that some unknowing person didn't buy it by now though....:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts