Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CZ-82, it has worked great for me until yesterday. I had 3 mags with me.
1. The slide seems to be getting tougher to pull back. Other people who have shot it also say the slide is pretty hard to pull back.

2. On two of the magazines I shot, the slide failed to stay open after the last shot. The third mag held open. I only shot thru each mag once yesterday. It has never failed to hold open before with any of the mags.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Gold Bullet member
7,761 Posts
My best guess would be that you have some fouling built up in the slide and that it is causing friction between the outside of the barrel and the spring and slide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I will go over my cleaning again tonight. This is my first semi-auto pistol, and I'm not up on all of this.
I will report back on the results.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I suspect Zach is correct and cleaning will fix the problem. Don't worry too much about it being an semi-auto, this is a very good design. Is your slide hard to pull back without a magazine in the pistol? Do you see any unusual wear patterns on the magazine feed lips? The slide release spring is often sited as the one weakness in this pistol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is difficult to pull back without a magazine in. It is more so with a magazine. I have not noticed any wearing on the magazine though.
I will give it a good thorough cleaning tonight and test.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I cleaned it out with some solvent and Q-tips last night. All through the slide. I got out a lot of residue mostly from the rear where the flat plate is and directly to the sides of it. I oiled it up along the grooves. It is easier to work now. It does not seem as easy as when I got it but definately easier than the last time I used it.

Is oil the proper lube or should I be using graphite or a grease on the slide?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, I cleaned it out with some solvent and Q-tips last night. All through the slide. I got out a lot of residue mostly from the rear where the flat plate is and directly to the sides of it. I oiled it up along the grooves. It is easier to work now. It does not seem as easy as when I got it but definately easier than the last time I used it.

Is oil the proper lube or should I be using graphite or a grease on the slide?
something like CLP or LSA will work fine for lubricant. I use CLP on all of my firearms (I prefer the CLP in a bottle instead of the spray - just my personal preference.)

CLP

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used Hoppe's gun oil for lube.

I noticed today, that pulling back the slide is incredibly easier if I manually cock the hammer first. Should I be cocking the hammer before working the slide? It seems that it is the hammer causing the difficulty. It was very easy with the hammer cocked. Any thoughts for this?

Thank you everyone who has replied or will :)

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
There are plenty of good solvents and lubricants out there, you should be fine. You can cock the hammer before pulling the slide back if it makes your life easier, but you don't have too. It is a DA pistol IIRC. Welcome to the world of discovering how firearms work. How does it shoot, and how good of a condition are the ones they have floating around nowadays? I'm considering getting one of those as they're such an interesting design.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It's always going to be harder to work the slide without cocking the hammer. Nothing wrong there.
I put a dab of grease on hammer facing but usually cock hammer anyhow.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Think YOURS is Hard to Rack?!!!

I installed about a 3/16" shim into my mainspring to reduce the number of misfires one tends to get with the CZ-52 using old milsurp ammo.

It stacks the coils right up on top of each other at the full cock, and adds about five pounds to the mainspring.

Works like a charm.

But unless I manually cock the hammer first, that slide racks AWFULLY hard!

Doesn't seem to effect cycling though; runs like a raped ape!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts