Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi-Power with an "A" prefix to the serial number

In 1944 after the Germans left the FN factory (and the war was still active) FN started manufacturing Hi-Powers again. They used an 'A' prefix to the serial number. Most of the 'A' Prefixs were fixed sight and no stock slot.

A very, very few had tangent sights and a stock slot. At this point in time, FN was using parts left by the Germans so they removed the WaA marking from the outside of the pistol. But the marking was not removed from the barrel.

·
Silver Bullet member
225 Posts
Hi-Power with "A" Prefix

HI-Power I have in my collection with the "A" prefix. Serial # A634. The barrel has the German WaA 140 proof. It has the fixed sight and wooden grips. It is in 99%+ condition.

·
59,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You have the fixed sight version. I have one also. Mine is A117 and is rough - finish wise that is. The first ones look like the late German Hi-Powers. As they progressed, the finish became better. They are not common. Of the ones I have seen, condition varies. You did good to have one in that good of a condition.

The "A" prefix is confusing. The early ones (fixed sights) were like mine or yours. There are a few tangent sights/stock slots with an "A" prefix - but very few.

Then they jump to the A2xxx range and they then have a "B" suffix - indicating that they were used by the Belgian military. This was probably in 1944 and 1945 as the regular Belgian contract was in 1946. I have two of these and not many are known. I guess I should make pictures.

Then I have one in the A15000 somthing or another. Fixed sights, no stock slot -----BUT-----the frame has the Lithuanian proof on it. I can guess what happened. The frame was laying around, someone discovered it and used it.

Another odd thing is that most "A" prefixs are known seem to be below 1000. Then there are those in the 2000 range that has a "B" suffix. Then they are not seen until the 13/14/15 thousand range. So the question is wht happened to those between 3000 and 13000 ???

·
Gold Bullet member
300 Posts
Very nice pistols! Can I ask who the intended receipient of the A prefix guns was? Belgian military or contract guns?

·
59,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Generally speaking the first "" prefiz went to individuals of the Allied military. The ones on the 2000 serial number range went to the Belgian military. The others probably were for some contract.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts