Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FN restarted production of the Hi-Power in 1944. The serial number had an 'A' prefix. Some of the pistols were obtained by the Belgian military and a 'B' suffix was added to the serial number. To date, examples of the 'B' suffix pistols have been found only in the 2000 serial number range.

In 1946, the Belgian military took delivery of their regular contract pistols which had been ordered before WWII and which were delayed due to circumstances beyond their control.

The 'A' prefix/'B' suffix pistols were only a temporary measure.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,096 Posts
Charlie,

That's another rare find. Thanks for sharing your impressive collection of High Powers with us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi-power's rule!

CPW you are the man! I just heard of this site from a friend and I LOVE Hi-Powers. Your pic's, collection and knowledge are awesome. I have a question or two for you sir...(1.) How to tell year of manufacture of Inglis Brownings and (2.) post war brownings? Thank you in advance.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CPW you are the man! I just heard of this site from a friend and I LOVE Hi-Powers. Your pic's, collection and knowledge are awesome. I have a question or two for you sir...(1.) How to tell year of manufacture of Inglis Brownings and (2.) post war brownings? Thank you in advance.

(1.) All that data is in "Inglis Diamond" by Clive Law. There is data showingat least the quarter in which the pistol was made.

(2.) "Trade & Hallmarks on Firearms in Belgium" by Bruno Beerst.

FN has used several systems overthe years. Many contract pistols were not dated.

Some will say check the Browning web site for the year the pistol was made, get the date off of the pistol itself for example 71C11111 ws made in 1971, or for more recent ones, there are two letter in the serial number which indicates the date the pistol had the serial number affixed (not necessarily when manufactured). This helps generally speaking.

The book gives the codes used on the pistol which look like meaningless marks (& which are not).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts