Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many of us here and on other forums I've been in somewhat of a funk by the current pricing ridiculousness going on both in the milsurp market and the overall firearms market. I'm quite content with the size and scope of my collection but I've always enjoyed the hunt as much as the find and watching myself being priced out of my hobby had me wondering if it was time to stop altogether(something my Wife would be fine with;)). That led me to yesterday when two friends talked me into attending a local gun show that I already decided to skip due to a rather poor show two months back. We got there early since we were expecting a large turnout with limited access due to Covid and got inside in the initial rush before things got too crowded. I had only been inside about 30 seconds when I spotted a M39 front sight peeking out of a rack and ran over to check it out. I was quite pleased to find a 1968 late date looking at me, despite a rather nice M39 collection I had never found a Late Date I could afford and had pretty much given up hope that I would in todays market. The price(575$) was more in line with what they sold for 5+ years ago so I pulled my wallet out quickly as several others were already circling waiting for me to put it down. I'm frankly amazed that this rifle wasn't snapped up by another dealer prior to the doors opening, many tried to buy it from me later on of course. The show turned out to be a pleasant surprise, ammo prices were of course ridiculous but there were a surprising number of reasonably priced milsurps. My friends left with a pair of SMLE's for 600$ each and a No4 MK1 for less than 500$ and I saw many sub 350$ Mosin's as well as nicely priced Mausers and Arisaka's ( Garand prices were pretty high though) had I not snagged this M39 early I definitely would have bought something else before leaving. This has convinced me not to quit and we are already planning another all day milsurp hunting trip into western PA on our next day off.
On to the rifle, as said she's a 1968 Late Date M39 in a post war stock. Receiver tang is unmarked but has a proof from the Russian Inspection Commission on top that was used at New England Westinghouse so that clears that up. I as initially worried about the darkness of the bore but it turned out to have a heavy coat of dark storage grease inside and once cleaned up proved to have a nice, shine bore that I can't wait to test fire. Stock shows dings from storage and handling but not much use at all.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
Very nice! Congrats!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Very nice! I have one that is 29 away from your SN #. Mine has a slight plum color to the barrel which looks nice in the right lighting. Not sure if yours does or not. Nice find! The price seems pretty fair given what some bring now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have 302700, the "7" is stamped over a "6" for some reason. It's a 1968 so just over a hundred rifles after yours. The metal on mine is all spotless but it's in a nice beat up wartime stock that definitely has the "been there done that" look that I love. Shrapnel marks, multiple plugs and repairs, but it's rock solid and nicely finished. Picked up for 500$ before covid, one that I'll hopefully never sell.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
$575?!

I'd of bought that in a heartbeat. Very nice example as well.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$575?!

I'd of bought that in a heartbeat. Very nice example as well.
A heartbeat was really all it took. My buddies were laughing because one minute I was walking in alongside them and the next I was gone and when they finally found me I was busy handing cash to the dealer and they were like " seriously Nick? we've been here for two minutes"

·
Registered
329 Posts
A nice one! I have 302497 here in Finland. The only visible differences are that the eagle is milled off the receiver, leaving a round dimple and the bolt knob had earlier numbers, beaten almost invisible.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Very nice find. Zero chance that would show up at a gun show around here. Even if it did, dealers setting up would snatch it before opening. Even if they didn't, it wouldn't last 1 min after opening. That is like throwing crack down into a pit filled with junkies. Makes me sad to even say all this but tis unfortunately true with current insanity.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.