Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I picked all these up during my time in Afghanistan. Some of these are copies/other country produced, etc. Also a Werndel and a few Pattern 14s that ended up in Afghanistan. There is one rifle that I was floored by when I came across it. I will post more detailed pics of this if anyone can pick it out from the group shot.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Afghanistan

Cool collection you picked up over there. That Pre WWI SMLE with magazine cut off is very cool, don't see many of them around these days, which means that your rifle avoided the massive rework that the Brits did to their rifles after WWI. What tales those rifles could tell!

LLS

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some better pics

Not an SMLE. Looks like a MLE reworked to CLLE configuration. Still a very cool find.
It is dated 1895 for the original date. The rework to CLLE is dated 1910.

It has many interesting markings, the action is very smooth, the sights are all there, and I haven't seen a stock like that before with the slant cut out for the volley sight. Of all the rifles I have I am drawn to this one for some reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is dated 1895 for the original date. The rework to CLLE is dated 1910.

It has many interesting markings, the action is very smooth, the sights are all there, and I haven't seen a stock like that before with the slant cut out for the volley sight. Of all the rifles I have I am drawn to this one for some reason.
Whoops...disregard the slant cut out, I was thinking about my ERA P14, I still love my 1895 Enfield, it just seems like a true blue Brit rifle that has seen a great deal of history.

·
Administrator
4,021 Posts
Since this thread is about Long Lee's and not Martini's I moved it to a more appropriate board, The Lee Enfield Board. The folks here will will have a greater knowledge and appreciation for this type of rifle.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Love the CLLE...a very nice find! Looks to have been originally been issued to the Royal Engineers Motor Transport Squadron (or Service).

I originally thought that the middle Martini had a Swinburn-Henry cocking lever on it, but on closer examination, that doesn't appear to be the case.

At any rate, some nice rifles in that bunch, and I'm glad to see you home safely.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,618 Posts
How did you get these back?

Rusty, How hard was it to get these back to the US? I assume if you have a receipt you can bring it back, right?

I know they are very strict on this sort of thing in the OIF theater.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reply to Story and Bones

When were you over there and how hard did you have to haggle with the local merchants on those?
There were no "merchants" involved and no haggling. There were all kinds of rifles for sale by mechants at the little bazzars set up at Bagram, Kandahar, Kabul, Herat, all the sizeable bases,etc. I spent as little time as possible at such places, usually just to fuel up, get a hot shower, pick up Op-funds, and eat some yummy yummy.

There was little trouble getting them home, paperwork was cake, the JAG was decent and all of these Mujahadin relics are decorating my walls.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the relocation

Since this thread is about Long Lee's and not Martini's I moved it to a more appropriate board, The Lee Enfield Board. The folks here will will have a greater knowledge and appreciation for this type of rifle.
Thanks, I love gunboards! I just don't get much time home these days. When I am home, I check in here to see whats what.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts