Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The above had an old note rolled up in the shell head:

“This shell was taken from the Spanish war ship “Colon” which was sunk off the cost of Cuba by the U.S. War Ships one year after she was sunk. And given to me by a Mr. Boas. Then chief clerk at the U.S. General Hospital at Santiago de Cuba. The same was loaded when given to me but I have since that date had it unloaded."

Jan. 1st 1900.

John F. Burleson
Medical Supply Depot
Santiago de Cuba”

Shell diameter is about 1 and 7/16ths. Shell head length is 3.3/4 inches
Shell case is about 3 and 3/4 inches tall and 1.3/4 wide at the base.

The overall length of the shell and case 6 ½ inches.

The shell is held in the case by three punch marks.

MARKINGS:

The shell base is marked with the intertwined letters “BOC” over “2/97"
The shell base also has the letters “MT” stamped opposite the BOC 2/97 marking.

The brass shell base-plug has left hand threads. The base plug is marked “HOTCHKISS PATENT” in an arc over a roman numeral II over the intertwined letters: BOC.

QUESTIONS: Is the above a 37mm Hotchkiss shell? If so, would it have been made for the Hotchkiss revolving gun or some other form of cannon?

Best regards,

Greg

·
Registered
105 Posts
I believe that you do indeed have a shell for a 37mm Hotchkiss revolving gun. I have had the good fortune to examine at length one of the guns mounted on a carriage. Extremely fascinating to watch the mechanism work as the crank was turned. At that time Dangerous Dave of Old Western Scrounger fame had all of the components to assemble loaded rounds and extended an invitation to the owner to bring the gun to Kalifornia and join in a "Hotchkiss Firing Fest."
I never have figured out the relationship, if any, between Hotchkiss and Gatling. Both live on as forerunners of guns currently used by the U.S. military.

twerpy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hotchkiss

While we are on Hotchkiss, how about this one. Made by Winchester, marked on shell above case, hotchkiss, patent nov. 14-76. Case is a little under 4 3/4 in. long, shell overall is 8 1/8 long. Base is 1 7/8 wide

·
Registered
339 Posts
Pretty neat to have it dated on 1/1/1900. Not many things (military related) have a unique provenance like that. Wonder if that was on purpose or chance?

·
Registered
299 Posts
What did the note say? Surprised no one has asked this already. That is neat.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
“This shell was taken from the Spanish war ship “Colon” which was sunk off the cost of Cuba by the U.S. War Ships one year after she was sunk. And given to me by a Mr. Boas. Then chief clerk at the U.S. General Hospital at Santiago de Cuba. The same was loaded when given to me but I have since that date had it unloaded."

Jan. 1st 1900.

John F. Burleson
Medical Supply Depot
Santiago de Cuba”

They are neat pieces of history.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Raspurs secret recipe for the worlds greatest egg salad.......

....It is written, "he who makes the best egg salad shall rule over heaven and earth."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts