Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
received a remington lee yeasterday
found it in holland the ex owner purchased it on a museum auction in switserland ,it 's a ex" versuchs gewehr" ex suisse army
it has a copper disc on the butt toe marked" M+S 396 " (suisse identification ????)
the receiver is marked "remington and sons ilion ny usa sole manufacturer and agents "
"the lee arms cy bridgeport conn usa patented nov.4 th 1879 ", serial is 6399 , barrel .43 rem spanish
both slingswivels are marked "pat.feb. 11 th 1868 ",the upper swivel has a small bolt to tension the barrelband (never seen before )
barrelbands marked flat U
the ramrod is a rolling block type
buttplate , barrel bands and front stud have a marbled case hardening
bolt has curved handle and a very special kind of case extractor lieing arround the boldhead
magazine had a little knop on the left side working up and down ( no idea what the function is ?)
front sight not adjutable, back sight marked 1 to 4 and stepped and retained by two screws
no other markings , this piece is never been used , (in my personal opinion )woodwork has some small dents no scratches
will test with 22 gn of n110 vitha and regular .43 RN bullet
give report assap
greetings from
jarmann

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
You have a M1882 Remington Lee (Cal .43 Spanish (11x57R ) , probably with the 1882-4 Chinese Contract Modifications.( sometimes called a M1884 Model)
Has the "Diss" design magazine ( ribbed sides)

The Magazine parts you mention are part of the "cutoff" system (magazine is dropped slightly out of line with breech, so contents will not run into chamber (ie, Hand load one cartridge at a time, with magazine in Reserve...to use magazine, simply push magazine body fully into position.

The Chinese contract ones were imported into Imperial China in the 1880s, through a Wholesaler in Shanghai ( details in Chinese script usually over receiver top); Remington had established an Arsenal and Ammunition Factory in Tientsin (Tianjin) back in the late 1870s, for the Imperial Gov't...this Factory made Chinmese copies of Remington M67 Rolling Blocks, in n.546/50 Rimfire Spencer cartridge, as well as .43 Spanish ammo etc.
These Rem-Lee Rifles were used in the Indochina War with France ( 1880s) and also the Boxer Rebellion.

If your example has no Chinese marks, it could be a standard M1884 Model, tested in Europe in the 1880s ( Britian tested the Lee, and finally adopted the Lee-Metford and the initially .303 Rubini (sic) Cartridge, then Modified to the .303 Mark I Black Powder, in 1889.

Doc AV

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dear doc av
in de mean time I purchased the book of eugene myszkowkski , so I learned that the magazine is the 2 nd generation " cook type with "sliding detent ,it has no other markings as those I mentioned before ,in my opinion the suisse where only intrested in the magazine ,they where working on a replacement for there vetterli type rifles( in 1885 rudolf schmidt of bern tested a rifle with a copy of the cook/diss magazines for the 7,5 mm VGP(Versuchs Gewehr Patrone ) model 1885 type I heblerlauf
the 22 gn vitha load n110 worked very ,also will test 16 gn n340 under the same bullet .439/370 gn lyman ,cases used are from bertram
I'm looking now for the correct springfield type socket bayonet , I learned it must be 61o cm long and without any markings (export type )
greetings from over the pond
jarmann

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.