Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
2,756 Posts
It's almost sad to think of the current generations growing up without the experience. Thirty years ago there wouldn't have been many kitchen doors without one of them behind it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats right Lithy, great collectors items as well as great shooters, even with open sights i still find them very accurate, i think it just goes to prove that Australia can produce a product like this equal to anything any other manufacturer in the world can , i have raised a few eyebrows at the range with the accuracy of these rifles as opposed to blokes with CZ's and just recently a new Savage rimfire with a $500 scope attached to it!! if you have never used one, you dont know what youre missing out on, they are a great little rifle.

·
2,756 Posts
Here's one of mine in action- the little rifle is a Mod1907 BSA SS. (almost identical to the Lithgow) Belonged to her great grandfather as a boy pre WW1. The other rifle is also a RF, .22 Patt14 No1. Targets at 50m.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
they could be doing worse i guess, at least it gets them outdoors and away from the idiot box and computer games!
I have a very off topic story involving this sort of thing. Short version is I have two young nephews, who were addicted to internet and video games, never are outdoors, horrible diet, no social life, etc. I flew them to Arizona last September for two weeks. We spent ten days camping, fishing, shooting, hiking, and swimming. When they returned home they sold all of the video games and other assorted technology to buy hiking gear, and now they trek weekly.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,624 Posts
Your daughter is armed with a .303, your son with a .22, what scares me the most is that I can't see from the picture, what that polka dotted couch is armed with.:laugh:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yep, my stepdaughter loves to shoot. One of her best friends at school is a shooter as well, coming from a competitive target-shooting family.

In Year Nine last year, she had a history assignment covering Australia in World War One. After I'd explained Australia's miitary involvement to her, she picked it up, read about it and can now explain the details not just of the Dardanelles campaign but the Western Front and Palestine. She had to write a letter, from the perspective of a soldier in the trenches writing to his family. I took her out to my militaria collection, kitted her out in a mish-mash of mainly WW2 gear and got her to tell me what it was like. She was able to describe the heavy, itchy gear and what it was like to handle a the 1912 BSA and bayonet. I know that it wasn't correct to wear webbing over a trenchcoat, but the tunics were way too big for her! She wrote a terrific essay and can explain it all to me a year later. She can still explain trench-foot, whiz-bangs, drop-shorts and the relationship between section, platoon, company, battalion and division. She came top in the school and her essay with photos and equipment display was used by the school as an example of what kids can achieve. She scored extra points for showing (in photos) why the side of the slouch hat is pinned up.

There aren't too many 14-15 year old girls who have a good working understanding of Australia's involvement in war. A month ago we did the same thing for Vietnam.

Anyway, beware the redhead with a .303!

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ah, thanks mate, that makes sense. I'm not sure why I thought it wasn't the go, but I appreciate the heads up.

Thinking about it, I've probably seen plenty of photos. Escapes me right now though.

As I type this, the ranga* is blasting out some axe-work on Guitar Hero, as it's raining and dark outside. Multi-skilled kid!

Just noticed - I've called 'em greatcoats all my until I wrote the above post!

Cheers,
Matt

*redhead for our non-Aussie friends!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.