Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was about 35 I came to the place where I could start buying milsurp weapons. Prior to that as a poor kid and cop the $89.00 rifles were to expensive for me to afford. I began a stable of milsurps and modern guns to shoot for fun. Ammo was 5 or 10 cents a pop! I enjoyed the military weapons history and compared their various functions. I like a handsome piece but find functionality more interesting than matching numbers.
Through the years I have owned most military rifles used by the great powers and some pistols. Many weapons I used for a few years, then traded them in for others. Learning about the weapons, their history, and the joy of shooting has been a lifelong hobby since a neighbor started giving me his American Rifleman magazines at my age of 12. Unfortunately I'm not a great shot, but I still handle a rifle better than these darn computers! Jeff

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
When I was about 35 I came to the place where I could start buying milsurp weapons. Prior to that as a poor kid and cop the $89.00 rifles were to expensive for me to afford. I began a stable of milsurps and modern guns to shoot for fun. Ammo was 5 or 10 cents a pop! I enjoyed the military weapons history and compared their various functions. I like a handsome piece but find functionality more interesting than matching numbers.
Through the years I have owned most military rifles used by the great powers and some pistols. Many weapons I used for a few years, then traded them in for others. Learning about the weapons, their history, and the joy of shooting has been a lifelong hobby since a neighbor started giving me his American Rifleman magazines at my age of 12. Unfortunately I'm not a great shot, but I still handle a rifle better than these darn computers! Jeff
Thanks for the story, noting gun 'tidal' parallels to mine Differing principally in a couple of 'selloffs' for me coinciding with "school". Undergrad as not even with Vet GI Bill to reasonably hack costs. Play it again Sam, but larger disposal as final Grad School prep commitment. Four years, night school. Full time Fed LE day job, active military reserves, student loans & young family sole support as mandating the wife remain at home with our two pre-school boys.

Worth it all! Several decades perspective, gazing back. "Law ticket" spring-boarding to truly wild life ride. Decent collection achieved & world of memories/war stories; career and collecting! Primary interest sporting rifles, but milsurps too plus "Home for wayward Bubbas", as General Director & sole movement sponsor!

The "good life"! What more to ask of "The Man"!
Good luck in collecting to all! Waxing poetic, best hopes "...by dawn's early light, our American spirit & will-united, still there"
Best!
John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts